INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Think I've been bit by the bug.  (Read 367 times)

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Think I've been bit by the bug.
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I made Helle several years ago, and have done plenty of deer work with it. Been wanting something a little nicer, and as usual, cant pass up a chance to get creative.

This forum really has the juices going. I dont have time or money to get into it hard and heavy. Just thinking I'll do a simple file project, or something similar. I'm assuming the file/blank will be easy to find.

First question...

I have big 'ole piece of stainless. It's actually a machete my Dad made, but it has never been practical in that incarnation. I know the steel came from a machine shop where he worked at the time. How can I tell if it will make a knife? I do know it's fairly soft. It is quite file-able and bends easily because it is so long. I guess it's about 1/8 or 3/16 thick. Might I get some blanks out of this, or should I just search out a file or plow blade?
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Think I've been bit by the bug.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
I would just buy a piece of known steel.There is no way to know what your stainless is without sending it to be tested.Then"if"it is something you want to use ,you will need to send it out to be properly heat treated.

You can get an 18" piece of 1095 for less than $10.Filing,or grinding a blade then fitting everything and finishing it all for a nice knife is hard work.Too hard IMHO to go through and not know what steel you are working with.

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
RH is right!
 I've been playing around with this knifemaking business for awhile now and the cost of steel is the cheapest part of the process. 1095 is a good steel, but I've found 1080 and 1084 a little more forgiving and easier to work with, especially for a beginner (like me!).  I would also recommend searching this forum for threads on heat treating and read the posts by Karl Andersen and Lin Rhea with regard to steel choices.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
What's the go-to source for a piece of that $10 1080?
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Last time I bought 1080 it was from Texas Knifemaker supply. (www.texasknife.com) Their list price for 1/8'x1-1/4"x12" is $6.95.  You can buy it by the foot.

Look in their catalog under Blade steels / Forging Steels

They also have 5160 and 1095.

Plenty of other vendors as well.  but I've dealt with these guys for a while and have not had a problem.

Good Luck!
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
If you are going to forge start with the 3/16" thick stuff.I can easily forge a 7" overall hidden tang blade with 4" of steel.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Not going to do any metal pounding. I watched video's of a very simple anneal, shape, harden process that I could easily do. Would the store bought stuff require annealing, or does come soft and just require final hardening process?
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
If you are wanting to do the heat treating youself you will want to use 1080 or 1084.  The steel from Texas knife supply comes annealed. Heat it a bit past non-magnetic and quench.  If you want to use 1095 you will need a controlled heat source to allow a little soak time to get all of the carbon into solution.  I started with 1080 and a fire brick forge for heat treating and made some decent blades.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Thanks guys. That gets me started.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline DW