INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What a blast!  (Read 632 times)

Offline Brad Singley

• Trad Bowhunter
What a blast!
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
It's been awhile since I have posted here.  Lots of health and family stuff but now I am back.  
  I got to attend the TBG State Shoot this past weekend and I have to say I am hooked on trad bows!  Oconee Dan and a few others took me under their wing and I was able to shoot a few bows.  I liked it so much that I traded a hunter knife and sheath for a bow!
  This is the latest knife I built.  It's a 9.5" Bowie of forged 1080 steel with vine filework out to the sharpened clip.  Guard is of bronze as is the fileworked spacer.  Handle is Merino Sheephorn with piened bronze pins.  I hope you like it.  
  I'm glad to be back and posting.  This trad stuff is gonna be fun!  Brad

Brad Singley
ABS Journeyman Smith

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What a blast!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
We're glad to have you here Brad.

I may not should tell you this, but I had a chance to look this knife over a couple weeks back. Chuck was impressed with your craftsmanship and told me to take a look too. I must say, you're doing some good work. That is one fine Bowie. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Brad Singley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Wow!  Thank you Lin!  That means alot coming from you.  Your work is something I try and hold myself up to when I'm in the shop.  Long ways to go there but I gotta have a goal!  
  I don't mind at all of you looking at it, heck I'm honored.  Thank you Lin.  Brad
Brad Singley
ABS Journeyman Smith

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Brad, you make this place just that much more special to all of us.
Please return - DAILY!
There's a whole lot going on in that knife and the Sheep Horn pushes it right over the edge.
Inspiration, indeed.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Brad Singley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Karl,  Thank you very much for the warm welcome back.  It's been hard around here with my wife's health but thank the Lord she is better. Thank you for the compliments also, as I think you make some killer knives also.  Your work is as clean as they come.  I'm glad to be back among friends.  look forward to seeing you in about 2 months or so at Blade.  Brad
Brad Singley
ABS Journeyman Smith

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Excellent!!  Not much more I can say.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Brad,

Glad that family/health thing has moved along in the right direction enough that you are back in the shop, if its what I'm thinking about it sure worried me some when you told me.

Also excited to hear about you catching the bug of trad bows even stronger than before. Dan is a class act- glad he was there for you to pal around with.

That is a nicely conceived and executed bowie.

Really like everything about it.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Wowzer! Stunning knife! I just took up trad shooting myself and it is a blast! Glad to see you back!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
wow that is nice. neat looking guard you put on there
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Jon Shade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
I too really like the guard. That is one fine knife!

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
That is a beauty...

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
First, I would like to say what a nice person Brad is, he is an asset to this forum in more ways than just knife making.
And like a good Dad, he brought his young-uns out to enjoy a MUDDY archery shoot.
That was brave, I know he had to hose them down with his firehose when he got home.
About the knife...professional photo and all, you just have to see with your own eyeballs to appreciate it fully.
Dan

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Brad your work inspires me!!!
I really have trouble keeping handle so even from side to side(Is there some kind of trick to it????)!
Way Cool guard!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Sweet Bowie and tickled to see another brother getting deeper into trad archery   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Looking forward to meeting you in Atlanta Brad!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Brad Singley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Hi guys,    
  Rooster, no tricks involved on the guard.  This is something I picked up when I was lookng throught Tim Hancock's new book.  In my mind his work is just about as close to perfect as human hands can make it.  The part that caught my eye was how he did complex guards but making 1/4 of the guard that covers EXACTLY one quadrant of the guard shape.  This is hard for me to expalin and I hope Lin or Karl will come in here and help me explain it.  
  If you make 1/4 of the guard then you can flip this piece into the other 3 quadrants and scribe you guard out perfectly, plus it will be centered on your knife perfectly.  I hope this helps.  If not call me on my cepp phone (404-375-9422).  I am real good at talking (ask my wife!) but not the best when it comes to typing out my thinking.

On a side note   I shot my bow yesterday about 100 times,  I pulled and strained things I didn't even know I owned!
Brad Singley
ABS Journeyman Smith

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
Watch out Brad, don't shoot till you are overtired, or you will develop bad shooting habits.
Dan

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Amazing looking knives

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©