3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Split finger VS three under  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Split finger VS three under
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Could someone please explain the difference to me with any pros and cons. I curently shoot split, but was thinking of trying three under to see if it will improve my consistancy in groups. I have heard it is easier to control arrows that way. Any help will be apprieciated.

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split finger VS three under
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
I started off shooting split for a couple years. Then I paper tuned my bow and found my arrows always flew nock high, no matter where my nock point was. When I shot the same setup with three under they flew perfect, or when someone else shot the bow split it also tuned perfect. Just something in my technique that caused it. After that I shot three under for several years, till a few weeks ago. I started shooting a longbow last year, and it is noticeably quieter shooting split, so I now shoot split again. I never noticed an accuracy difference from one to the other.  It seems like I shoot more accurately now with split again, but I suspect it is because I'm concentrating harder now with the new technique. Three under will get the arrow closer to your eye if you use the same anchor as when you shot split, which may help your accuracy.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
I can and do shoot both, but prefer 3 under. It feels more natural to me. when I shoot 3 under my index anchors at the corner of my lip, with split my middle finger anchors in the same spot. as for accuracy, I don't see much difference. I shoot equally poorly eather way.  :)  I have noticed a difference in noise though as bushman said, but different bows like different things. Find what works for you and that bow and stick with it.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
I have shot split all my life even when I shot compounds years ago. What ever works for you, go with it.

Later

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
I've shot both but settled on 3 Under.  It brings the arrow under my eye which improves my accuracy.  I also feel my draw is "stronger", for lack of a better word, than when I shot split finger...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
3 fingers always made me shoot low for wat i was aiming for.
I'm just a split finger dude, its just so much easier,
tried just 2 finger but hurts way to much, even though its more accurate.
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I started out split then one year I went to 3 under. After awhile I noticed I was spending time more or less gap shooting. It didn't fit my hunting method for still hunting and stalking so I switched back to split and am much happier shooting instinctive. Only problem is my 3D scores dropped a little but the trade out was worth it to me.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
I have always shot spilt finger,just feels more natural to me.Plus when I shot 3-D in IBO traditional longbow class it was one of the rules.You could shoot 3-under in recurve unaided class.I like split but shoot what works best for you.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
Ive shot 3 under for about 6 years now. Started shooting split and shot pretty good. I have found my draw to be stronger and more consistant. i have also found that the bow noise some folks complain about can be tuned out with Simms limb leeches. They seem to take care of it pretty good.

Offline OKCtradguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
I shoot 3 under out to 40 yards, after that I switch to split.  What I have found is that with the same sight picture, you can get another 20 yards when you switch from 3 under to split.  To clarify, I am usually about point on at 20 yards when I shoot 3 under.  When I get out to about 45 yards, I switch to split and I am again point on.  I think both methods work just fine.
Glenn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©