3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood arrows  (Read 379 times)

Offline minnesota_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
wood arrows
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
i was thinking about putting some wood arrows together.  i was just wondering what wood you guys prefer.  i was also wondering if there are any good places on line to order shafts. i will get every thing else from the local shop, but he is having trouble finding wood arrows for me.

Offline purple heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Go to 3-Rivers P.O.C.; Tapered shafts.  They are premium.  They are manufacted by someone else than they used to be!!   You'll love em
"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever."   Isaiah 40:8

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
I just bought a dozen POC shafts from 3R.  Working on them now. They are good, quality shafts.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
My favorite is Birch,laminated mostly because it's what I find available the most.Heavier than POC and tougher IMO.Maybe harder to straighten,but they last longer for me.

I do shoot POC with some of my bows.

Check the sponsors for some shafts.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
I use ASH from Raptor Archery, Ted is a great guy to deal with.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
try  www.arrowwoods  .com thats allegany arrow woods they have good prices and a good variety of woods and they program lathe there tapers for deer hunting i would suggest a tapered hickory for its foc plus penetration value with a heavy broadhead like 160+ hickory is also very tough   remember penetration is the name of the game
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
I second Ted at Raptorarchery.com, any type of taper you want and a variety of footings.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
One other wood not listed yet would be Sitka Spruce shafts from Hildebrand. No, they are not as heavy as POC on average but I still get and arrow weighing over 550gr with a 160gr BH were the POC might be 600. Again, on average, if you ask the suppier for heavy shafts they will do their best to get you what you want. Two nice things about Spruce, it takes stain way better then POC to make a pretty arrow and it's really tough.
lll

Offline minnesota_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
thanks for the help guys,  i will post some pics if they turn out ok.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
Tapered cedars for me, have great luck with them but am in a carbon phase right now.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline 6X5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »
POC is easy to work with and to some smells good. As far as a working arrow goes it leaves a lot to be desired. Try some ash from Ted Fry at Raptor Archery in Hood River Oregon.He's forgot more than most of us have ever known about trad archery and doesn't mind sharing it with you.
Robert Johns

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
Yep, 3r's tapered are top notch shafting. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©