INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New skinner  (Read 396 times)

Offline J.Yates

• Trad Bowhunter
New skinner
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Here is a new skinning knife I finished up last month to replace my old ugly one that I made and have carried for many years.The blade was forged from a file and is 3" long 7"OA.The handle is curly maple and antler.Now I have to make one for my son who will be bowhunting starting this year.   :)      :)  

Mitch

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New skinner
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Now that is awesome looking! What did you stain the maple with?
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline prarieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
SUPER!!!!!!!!!!
Look up!It's ALL above us.

Offline J.Yates

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Skullworks
The stain is something called aqua-fortis.My main pastime when not flinging arrows is building early American flintlock rifles.Aqua-fortis was the stain of choice for curley maple 250 years ago right up though today.To make it you combine Nitric acid and water.Into that you dissolve iron until the acid is spent(when it stops bubleing  :)  ).To use it you apply it to the maple and let it dry.Then you heat it with a radiant heat source until it changes color (I use a heat gun),it will go from a sickly gray to brown.The color is basically the iron oxide that is formed with the heat and the dissolved iron.Because the iron is molecular in size it doesn't cloud the grain like a ground pigment as found in todays stains.You end up with a translucent stain which shows and highlights the figure in the maple.Aqua-fortis is available commercially if you don't want to go through the trouble to make it.The comercial stuff tends to be a little acidic and need to be neutralized(I use ammonia)after heating of the wood or else it can darken over time.I also use it on walnut to get a brown/black color as an aged finish.Probably more than you wanted to know  :p    :p    :p   I would be glad to answer any questions if anyone is interested.Below is a pic of it used on a larger piece of maple(sorry it's not a bow!!)

Mitch

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline pearsoncougar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
VERRY interesting!!!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
One of the nicest blades Ive seen posted here!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Great shape to that one and looks like it would fit the hand very well!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©