INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: want to make a hawk  (Read 300 times)

Offline GabeO

• Trad Bowhunter
want to make a hawk
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
i need some help i want to make a hawk or small axe just don't know where about to start any help would be great. I have a small forge and basic shop tools. just need some ideas and advise thanks Gabe
the more in your head the less you have to carry on your back

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: want to make a hawk
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
The "easy" way for your first hawk is to use a 1lb ball peen hammer as the start.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Ball Peen hammers do make nice tomahawks, they can be a bit tough to hammer out if you don't have a 3 or 4 pound sledge.  I recommend starting with an old hatchet or small axe head for your first.  Work on your hot rasping, rough shaping, annealing, normalizing, metal finishing and hardening skills.  Once you get those right, then move on to using an older high carbon breaker bar segment, square stock, or round stock.  This will require you to work on upsetting, drawing, widening, and fullering. Along with slitting or drilling and then drifting the poll hole in the head.  If you have specific questions drop me a pm.  I make a lot of them and can give you some ideas and steps to help you succeed on the first try.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
ive seen old roofers hammers at garage sales that would make a tomahawk
they could be reprofiled quite easily
kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©