INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Knife makin'  (Read 350 times)

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
Knife makin'
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I recently finished a knife for one of my sons.  I have several more in process. Simple blade redesigns and remanufactures.  QUESTION:  I think I need a benchtop sander to polish blades,  Am I correct? Suggestions welcome!  Momma says I can buy one!  :goldtooth:
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knife makin'
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Well, yes AND no.
A benchtop belt and disc sander is one of the most handy tools in my shop.  You can use it to flatten handle scales, minor grinding, and some major handle shaping.  
Most will use a bigger belt sander(grinder) to shape blades and work progressively to finer grits, until all that is needed is minor buffing from a buffer to polish it.
I have hand sanded blades entirely by hand, wet sanding, and hand polishing to a mirror finish.  
Some of the better knife makers here prefer a satin finish on the blade, finished by hand.

All that said, if you have permission, get the benchtop belt/disc sander, you won't regret it and it is handy for other projects other than knives too.
Dan

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knife makin'
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
What is your budget?

Craftsman, Delta   $200-400

Coote, Grizzly 2x72 $500-700

Bader, KMG, Burr King, Wilton $1.500,00-2,500.00

I have the Grizzly

Steve
-------