INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: table saw blade for scales?  (Read 302 times)

Offline Neutron

• Trad Bowhunter
table saw blade for scales?
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
What type of and/ or brand of table saw blade would be good for making knife scales from boards?

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: table saw blade for scales?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
I mainly use a band saw to slice scales because they cut smoother than a table saw but just about any table saw blade should work.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Neutron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
My band saw is a 10" and with the widest blade I still get a little wave on the cut.  As long as I have a real flat side to glue to I guess it doesn't matter.  I found a new 104 tooth blade that is a fine crosscut, I will try that and see if I can get it to cut smooth.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Neutron, after discussing with scale sellers at Blade....they are using big commercial grade bandsaws and as madness says...using the deepest blade they can get on their bandsaw.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Get the widest blade your saw will handle and that will help with some of the waviness.  Are you using a fence?  With most band saws to get the best cut the fence isn't at a 90 to the blade.  You'll have to play with that adjustment a little to find the sweet spot so your cuts will be the best they can be.

Another way to get them dead flat without power tools is to spray adhesive on a flat piece of granite and hand sand them. Take a pencil and make marks on the side you want flat.  When all the marks are gone you have a flat scale.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©