INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Heat Treat testing question for the MS crowd  (Read 319 times)

Offline skillet

• Trad Bowhunter
Heat Treat testing question for the MS crowd
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Trad Gang has a nice group of ABS Journeyman and Master bladesmiths. So here's a question concerning the testinig of the blade after the quench hardening:

The process generally says "test with a new file for hardness. A new file should skate off the steel without grabbing and cutting."  

What kind of file (mill, bastard, second cut...) do you fellows use for your hardness test?

rick
R.C. Evans
Blacksmith & Bladesmith Apprentice. Chaser of deer and squirrels. Builder of mediocre bows and some nice arrows. "I've never been lost, but have been might misplaced on occassion."

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heat Treat testing question for the MS crowd
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Mill or bastard, but any file made to cut other metals should tell. The hardened carbon steel of the blade should be hard enough that the file will have a difficult time cutting into it, in most cases will not cut it. It creates a recognizable sound as it skates accross. Good question. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline skillet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heat Treat testing question for the MS crowd
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks Lin. I'd like to mark one of my files as "The Tester" in order to keep some control over the after quench test.
R.C. Evans
Blacksmith & Bladesmith Apprentice. Chaser of deer and squirrels. Builder of mediocre bows and some nice arrows. "I've never been lost, but have been might misplaced on occassion."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©