3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The mental aspect of this sport.....  (Read 507 times)

Offline Brack Shooter 32

• Trad Bowhunter
The mental aspect of this sport.....
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
I want to hear others thoughts on the mental aspect of this sport. I consider myself to be a decent shot, not a professional by any means, but a very consistent and accurate shot at hunting distances. I am to the point where I have faith in my shooting mechanics. Here is where I struggle though.....the mental part. I will use yesterday as an example, we typically do bow drives for deer on the farm we hunt at the end of each season. These are usually preceded by a stump shooting session or rabbit hunt. Yesterday we were shooting arial targets. I was hitting them on a pretty regular basis. When we get to the farm we positioned in a known escape route. We had some people bump the deer and sure enough here they come. I ended up missing a deer on the ground at no more then 15 yards. He was not running or jumping he was standing broadside. I blew it and I shot underneath him. An hr prior I was knocking 12 inch discs out of the air yet I can not hit a 130 pound deer. I do not understand why, when it comes to live game I can not seem to put it all together. I am not sure if it is all the fractors coming into play that you don't experience with a target. Things like timing the draw, movement of the animal etc. This year has been very tough for me. I have put myself in position and have had 9 shots on deer, all within 20 yards. These were all relaxed and calm deer. I do not shoot at deer that are on high alert or very nervous acting. I have only made good on one shot this year which netted me a nice doe for the freezer. Has anyone experienced this and how did you move past it. I try to prep myself prior to each hunt...pick a spot etc, but at the moment of truth I just don't seem to be there mentally...has anyone else experienced this and worked your way through it? I almost feel like I am in the second stage of traditional archery...I have the mechanics and now I need to master the mental part. I just don't know how to get it done.
Go Terps

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The mental aspect of this sport.....
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
one thing if youre shooting at calm deer do you have  time to draw anchor and let down once?  then actually draw anchor and release...  may take some of the nerves out of shooting at a live animal!!!!  

just my two cents   maybe it will help

I typically do some practice draws at almost any deer that is not alert to my presence even if I am not going to shoot at the animal!1   just makes me feel less nervous when a shooter comes in
St. Joe River Bows

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Want to talk about a Basket Case when big game presents itself for a shot... That's me! Text Book Buck Fever. But I think a cure can only be found when we do make that good shot on a big game animal.

You can't stop yourself from getting tuned up. Sometimes it happens when we have the time to think as game gets closer. Maybe... Just maybe if you are near the moment of truth and begin to imagine your arrow in flight going into the deers heart or imagine the sound of the feathers  as they cut the air. DON'T look the deer in the eyes. This works for some people and keeps the mind clear. Me... I've yet to score. Had my share of misses too.

Best Of Luck!
... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
When you shoot at targets that are inanimate, you already know that you will hit or miss.  There are no consequences to a bad shot on inanimate objects; therefore, no pressure or anxiety.  The reason we miss and miss low on game is our tendency to drop our bow arm and get that sneak peek in to see how we shot.  It took me a while to get over the game anxiety.  I achieved this by going rabbit and squirrel hunting.  You either miss them or you kill them using small game heads.  Just my take from personal experience.  Hope it helps.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Shooting a bow is 90% mental. The only advice I can give is to start hunting varmints like ground hogs or something.

It sound to me like you are not picking a spot.Try to work on that.

The best thing to do is to shoot deer. Your malady should leave or at least be less severe after that. Good Luck.   :campfire:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
For me, early on when I first went back to a recurve, and instinctive shooting, I had a deep rooted fear of wounding an animal.

When a shot would present itself, I would blow it by a mile, shooting way high or way low. The deer would scatter and leave, and then I could single out a leaf, and send a broadhead through the center of it. It was different than buck fever.

I finally got over it for the most part, when I began to really think back to the few animals I did shoot, and I realized, that every deer I did kill, was killed with a perfect shot right in the pocket where the arrow went through the top
of the heart, and the forward part of the lungs.
EXACTLY where I was concentrating. I KNEW it could be done, and that I could do it. Waiting for close range, broadside shots gave me the confidence to overcome my fear of wounding, and I was able to concentrate on the job at hand.

Years later, I still get the shakes when a shot presents itself, but my worry of wounding has been replaced with the confidence of shooting year round, and the knowledge that my arrows fly perfectly. Don`t get me wrong, sometimes I still miss, and when I do miss and the deer run off, I single out a leaf, and put a broadhead through it.

Three Arrows gave great advice when he suggested small game hunting. When I first started hunting with a recurve, I was so busy at work, that I had to practice at night with yard lights, and barely had time to deer hunt. I think small game hunting with my deer set-up would have helped a ton. I just did not have time to do it.

It is certainly a mental game, and as we all know, it aint easy. Think back to the shot you made to kill the doe that is in freezer. You KNOW you can do it. Good luck.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
My biggest mental challenge is increasing my range.  I've gotten fairly consistent out to 20-25 yrds.  For some reason at 30 yrds I fall apart.  I go from keeping 5 arrows in a pie plate or smaller to 2/5 in the pie plate and the other 3, well it's anybody's guess.

I'm hoping to draw a Moose hunt here and I've been told to be ready for shots out to 40 yrds.  Some Caribou hunters say be ready for shots out to 70 yrds, but that's a whole different conversation.  I still have my compound because I just haven't gotten to where I want to be with my longbows.

I hope to get there before I draw, but I may not make it.  For me, inconsistency at 30 yrds and feeling like I need my compound is a real mental bummer.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I think some good things have been said here.  It is true that when there are consiquences for a miss we shoot differently.  I know when shooting in my garage at a large target I can easily pick my spot but switch to a small 3d like a wood chuck were a miss will mean a broken arrow in the concrete wall a get different.
Maybe someone can speak to this but my bet is when they pull out the arrow eating bunny thing at the memorial bunny hunt alot of guys who normaly hit the mark start busting arrows.

It is hard to simulate a real hunting situation but I think creating targets where a miss cost you an arrow is a good start.

Mitch
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
I too struggled with target success and shooting at the whole animal while hunting.  What really seems to work for me now is to focus all of the excitement of an anticipated shot in what I can best describe as anger.  I focus all the emotion on cutting that one *%#?^@) spot.  Now it is after the shot that the shakes and adrenaline take over.  Good luck finding the secret to your success.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Here my 2 cents,when shooting at big game its 99% mental.I have 7 pope and young bucks with bow.4 over 140 in the moment before the shot, the outcome is allready known.If you have any doubt in the shot its over.I try to make all my shot under 20 and if any doubt DONT SHOOT.I still screw up thats what its all about.I have the hardest time with does leatherneck dies laughing at me,dont second guess yourself.P ICKING A SPOT IS MUCH HARDER AT LIVE GAME.If thier where dots on deer we wouldnt miss.Just wanting you to know you are not alone.Look at leathernecks deer i missted that buck because i didnt pick a spot 17 yards .
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 05:51:00 AM »
Pick a spot!!! That is sometimes the hardest thing to do on an animal. You shoot at the entire animal and you will miss. Pick a spot!

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Success breeds confidence. The more shots you successfully make, the more confidence you'll have that you can AND WILL make the shot.

Every bowhunter has a 'zone' within which he can easily hit his target. Learn what your personal 'zone' is, then learn how to hunt well enough to get within that zone, and take only shots that are within that zone. If you do that, you will make more of the shots you do take, and will continually become more confident that you WILL make each shot you do take.

Standing in front of a target and shooting arrow after arrow from a fixed distance and position is good for learning good form for target shooting, but being able to shoot tight groups under set conditions does not translate to being able to 'make the shot' under hunting conditions.

When practicing on a 'target'; or 'stump shooting'; always shoot 'groups of one'; just one arrow from a given position/range. Don't give yourself a second chance to make the shot; animals seldom will. If you miss the shot, come back sometime later to repeat it. Change SOMETHING between every shot - target; body position; angle of bow cant; shooting angle; shooting range; or how you take the shot (fast, slow, snap shot, draw with a very long holding time, etcetera).

Do almost all of your practice within your 'zone'. The goal is to reach the point that, within your zone, you can place the first arrow SOMEWHERE within the 'kill zone' every single time, regardless of the shooting position or conditions of the shot. It's the same as a field goal kicker practicing to the point that, within his range, he's confident of making the field goal from any position on the field; even when it's raining and the field is muddy. You want to reach that point; an absolute inner confidence that you can and WILL make EVERY shot that's within your 'zone'; always placing your FIRST arrow close enough that it will be SOMEWHERE within the 'kill zone'. Learn to consider every shot you make that is within that 'kill zone' a "perfect shot".

Do as much small game hunting as you can. All small game hunting is great practice, but I find the very best 'practice hunting' for big game is doing a lot of predator calling/hunting; and that hunting, in one form or another, is available to most hunters year-round.

Called predators respond EXPECTING some other animal to already be there. The arrive ALERT. Learn to beat them with even a simblence of regularity, and getting shots off at big game becomes easy.

In a nutshell, always operate on the principle of "close enough to kill". Learn how close "close enough to kill" is, for your equipment and shooting ability. Practice until you can place every arrow "close enough to kill" each time your game is "close enough to kill". Develop your hunting skills to the point you can get "close enough to kill". Hunt small game over and over, until your mind learns what truly is, under real hunting conditions, "close enough to kill". By then, you will have developed a great deal of knowledge, skill and confidence in your ability to 'make the shot' under hunting conditions. There's no substitute for the confidence derived from having made many successful 'real hunting shots', regardless of the size of the game hunted.

Lastly, there's the intangable, which can only be called 'killer instinct' or 'the prime survival instinct'. Almost everyone that has bowhunted a long time will have encountered that fortunate bowhunter who's definitely NOT a great shot, yet seems to make even the most difficult hunting shots with uncanny regularity. When the time arrives, and his 'body clock' says "go", it's as though some internal body switch clicks on, and that ancient insticntive autopilot takes over. The world shuts down; it consist of only hunter and prey. At that point, there's no doubt in the predator's mind. It's time to kill - and he has no doubt: he can; he will; he does.

Each of us alive today has many ancestors who possessed loads of the 'prime survival instinct'. If we didn't, we wouldn't be here today. The reminents of that are to be found somewhere within each of us. All you need to do is find it within yourself, and awaken that long dormant ability.

Ed

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
I have dealt with similar problems. I have been able to "dump the monkey" by utilizing a mental trick. I believe that the problem is mental not mechanics therefore you need to work on the mental aspect. One mental trick is to draw on game without shooting. You need to mentally get use to what that feels like without the pressure of making the shot. Secondly draw on game with only the intent of aiming, not shooting. Once you are solidly on target (again telling yourself you are only aiming) then throw the mental switch and go ahead and release. It may sound odd, but it keeps the excitement and mental pressure to perform down just enough to allow you to make the shot you know you are capable of making.

Best of luck. Hang in there it will come around. Remember its mental and you have to fight it mentally.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I have been there, and from time to time I return. It has been stated, and correctly, that it is a mental issue.

Some mental issues can be overcome by sheer will, which workds fine for others, but not worth a darn for me in shooting a traditioanl bow. Still some mental hurdles require a different solution.  

My solution to the problem is to focus all of my attention on the shot and nothing else.  Not the deer, hog, turkey, javelina, elk, or whatever.  I almost get to the point where that becomes the least important factor, until I take out my skinning knife.

How would one practice this,  Dr. Ashby suggested changing things between shots.  He is correct, as usual, about this as he is regarding the point where that "killer Instinct" point is reached.

That is not something you can plan for, it is something that will happen, given enough time.  As an instructor of Martial Art, I see this happen with students all the time, regarding the area of sparring.  

Forgive me, I digress,  oneof the best reasons for shooting in 3D shoots, is the perceived pressure of shooting in front of others.  It can provide the same kind of feeling, although somewhate less, than in hunting. Of course it is a target, non-living piece of foam, but we want to make a good shot so badly that we become distacted by the overwhelming(at least at that moment as perceived)that we fail to do what needs to be done to make the shot. Barry Wensel, as great as he is, does not like to shoot in front of others.  Some of the best bowhunters known to man feel the same way.  Fortunately for them, they don't have to worry about losing control when game appears and the shot is present.

I shot in my first 3D shoot of 2008 yesterday.  Since it was mainly compound shooters, our group was held up, everybody knows that traditional shooters step up to the stake, looks, draws and shoots.  Compounders make an event of every arrow.  Now I can tell you from experience, that a lot of those guys don't take traditional archery seriously.  It is a novelty to most, and well respect is not a given in that venue, but has to be earned.

For twenty of the thirty targets we shot that afternoon,  we had an audiences. People wanted to see how these guys were shooting without release aids, carbon arrows, sights, stablizers, and binoculars.

Now I am not new to this phenom, but I never really cared for it until yesterday.

I found myself engulfed in the shot, to the extent that a miss could not even be a consideration.  We then proceeded to place the arrow time after time into the spot that I sought. To ooohs, and awwhs.  I can tell you for a fact, one year ago that would have bugged the stuffing out of me.  I didn't like shooting in front of people, and I let it affect my shooting. The same thing holds true, at least for me, when hunting.  My good hunting shots were always consumed by a total concentration on the shot, and placing the arrow where I wanted it to go.  

Now that usually means that my legs will turn to Jello after the shot. I have been seen hugging my tree when I have made a good shot from a treestand to keep from falling.  

Over the years the senario usually goes like this, I see game approaching, I get the shakes, I get shortness of breath, I get muscle weakness.  I talk myself through this and as the game moves into my shooting range, I become calm. I focus on the spot and the shot, I tell myself, I don't care if I miss as long as the shot goes where the kill area is when I release.  I assure you, that if you put in where it supposed to go, even if the animal moves, you have done your job.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Brack Shooter 32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
This is great info. I will most definetly take into account changing the way I practice as well as using Ed's one arrow group trick. I just find it frustrating to the point of no return. I had all of these deer within my effective zone. I just do not know what caused the misses. Thinking back with the exception of the buck on Saturday all of the other shots were high. Also all of these were situations where I had the deer in close and had plenty of time to evaluate the situation and execute the shot. The weird thing about all of this is the doe I was successful on was a very quick situation where it was more reaction then proactivly preparing. What do you think thats all about? Insticts maybe?
Go Terps

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
Shooting over the top of a game animal or 3D target, at close range, means you didn't pick a spot. Did you ever hear of Become The Arrow? That is what I talked about in my first post. As you come to anchor imagine your arrow hitting the spot. Simple. Then let her rip after your "warmup" shot. Works for me.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Of course I must preface this with the fact- that I have never missed anything; and the only mistake I have ever made: was to buy a pencil...with an eraser!!!

The shot is not over until the arrow hits the deer. Start thinking that way. Its not over when your close to the deer; its not over when a shot presents itself; its not over when you draw back; its not over when you pick a spot; its not over when you release the arrow; its over when the arrow hits.

So; think that way. If you think the shot is over before the arrow hits- your not going to be concentrating long enough-- to make the shot.

I have thought about this; and counted to three.

:D
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
Brackshooter, many of us feel very compelled to respond to this, because we have lived through the EXACT same thing.

There have been some misses early in my hunting career, that I KNOW I would not miss today. The difference is simply experience. I have learned what works for me. (usually)  :)  

If you can repeatedly put yourself close to game,(obviously you can)
it is only a matter of time before most of your shot opportunities become success stories.

I feel your frustration, but don`t allow it to ruin the enjoyment of your journey. Happy hunting!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
If you have to think about it,your probly doing it wrong.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline zirnsak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
My personal problem has always been opposite. I loose focus on target shots because they don't mean anything if you miss. The onoe thing that I have always heard and have always practiced is to just stare down the spot that your going to hit. There is no nead to look at the deer, fox, or any animal you are going to shoot. Once you see the animal coming into your range, decide whether or not you are going to harvest it, once that decision has been made just focus on that impact point and nothing else. Then you won't be watching their eyes or head movement & let your natural shooting mechanics take over. Let It Fly. Focus is the key I think, and no matter what you are shooting if you don't bear down on the impact point every shot, you start to spray your shots.
Nothing brings three generations together like shooting tradional! Love you Pop, Brother Bear and my boys H & Luke.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©