INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: GutHook or No.....What Do You Prefer??  (Read 815 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
GutHook or No.....What Do You Prefer??
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have been nosing around for a new hunting knife.  It will be used mostly for pigs....I HOPE, but it could be pressed into deer service too.  There are so many really nice knives and choices.  I'm not even talking about the GORGEOUS customs that the makers post here.  I wish I could get one of them, but my budget is pretty tight right now so I'll have to stay with production.

Anyway, I wanted to see what you all think about a GutHook on your knives.  Are they pretty much useless or do you find them a valuable addition that makes things much easier?

Also if you have any suggestions on a knife I would like to hear them.  I have been thinking about trying a Helle where I can make the handle.  They have a nice GutHook model too.

Thanks for your help and time.

Nalajr

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GutHook or No.....What Do You Prefer??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I have only harvested whitetail and I prefer one for that. As for hogs. I have no advice. Its easy to slit the hide with them.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
A Helle would be a good choice.  i don't use a guthook.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
I have never used a guthook on big game, I have never gutted a pig but if I do I'm just going to open it up like a deer.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
I don't like gut hooks.  To use one pretty much forces one to turn the cutting edge of the blade toward your body.  I've never found it difficult to use two fingers to guide the knife up the body cavity to cut the skin and soft tissue without poking or cutting the stomach or intestines.  I don't open up bigger critters like elk, but use the gutless method for them.  Some folks like em.  To each his own.

Offline bhalbert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought a gut hook knife for my son as a present, I had never wanted one for myself but he really thought the gut hook would be the ticket. Well, he was right, the gut hook worked very well on deer. Not really sure how well it would work on hogs.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
I've used a "wyoming knife" for about 30 years now. Wouldn't be lost without it but I'd sure miss it. Also always carry a fixed blade.

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
No hook for me.  They do a job I am sure but it is a tiny fraction of the time you are using the knife and gets in the way for some tasks like reaming a deer pelvic cavity to pull the entrails out w/o breaking or sawing the pelvic bone.  I know several outfitters/guides and only one carries a gut hook and that is on an extra skinning knife he carries in his pack when guiding elk hunters.

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
sorry about the double post

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
I've played with gut hooks on and off. I have concluded for opening the belly on deer and elk I gain no advantage in time or effort than a standard blade. The guthook can get in the way when working at finer tasks.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
A good compromise knife is the Outdoor Edge Swingblade

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I have never used a gut hook knife.  The traditional straight blade has worked for centuries, so why mess with it?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I use a gut hook.  I have used the Outdoor Edge Whitetail Skinner for about ten years now and it is the only knife I take when heading out hunting, Big or small game.  I like the T handle.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Canyon:
I've played with gut hooks on and off. I have concluded for opening the belly on deer and elk I gain no advantage in time or effort than a standard blade. The guthook can get in the way when working at finer tasks.
Ditto.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Skinning & separatihg meat should be as quick & painless as you can make it. I've had a few guthook wrecks so haven't used one in decades. *Don't cut intestines! My favorite knives are fixed short blade drop point skinners razor sharp. Quick, secure, & easy to sharpen. The Bark River scalpel may offer the same & more especially for fine bonework. Currently use a very old KaBar with 2" blade for at least 25 years or more.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
When I was younger I thought the hook looked neat, and therefore wanted one.  Then I harvested my first deer, used the two-finger method, and haven't looked back.  However, if one was given to me I certainly wouldn't be above using it, I just don't have any need to purchase one.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
I like a gut hook, but funny thing is I never use it to gut. I use it more to zip open hides when skinning. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
I've found the guthook feature to be pretty handy on Whitetails. I received a Buck Crosslock knife a number of years back, as a gift and this knife has a standard blade and a stand alone guthook blade. The hook makes quick easy work of the initial slit without damaging anything inside. Then I can move to the standard blade and complete the job. All that being said, My favorite knife for hunting use has been an old Buck with an approx. 3" blade for the entire job. A little caution on the initial slit and no worries on pucturing the paunch. I havfe found the 3" blade perfect all around for field dressing. Not too big and not too small. Easily handled and easy to control.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
I've never cared for sandard gut hook blades for many of the reasons already stated. Several years ago, a good friend gave me a Buck Crosslock, and I absolutely love it. Like Yukon Chuck stated, the stand alone gut hook eliminates all of the potential problems associated with normal gut hook blades.

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
I don't care for them. Easy enough to do without, just don't see the need.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©