INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Greenhorn needs help  (Read 332 times)

Offline SCRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Greenhorn needs help
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Does anyone have a tutorial or a link to one showing a step by step blade forging process ? How do you minimize the upsweep of the blade when hammering the profile of the blade ? I end up with my blades turned up to the heavens on the tip end .
Thanks for any help .

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Greenhorn needs help
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Bend them the other way before you start thinning the edge. In other words, thin the inside of the curve.

Mark

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
This might help you on the upswept blade problem...tippit

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=110;t=002440
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:17:00 AM »
Scrap, if you could find a knife maker in MS, and there are several, they could probable help you out. Also read in Market bullitan that there is a forging class one a month at the trade mart building in Jackson. Also know a guy in Meridian who builds a great knife.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
One way to handle this is to correct the radical curve as you go along, a little at a time. In other words, dont let it get too banana shaped before you try to make the correction. When it gets curved up a little, heat the whole blade evenly and whap it on the flat suface of the anvil, spine down.

Forging is something that is hard to desribe in a "how to". Anybody who can should take every opportunity to watch someone who is experienced.
Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
James I don't know how serious you are ,but if you really want to learn,I highly suggest this!!!
Go to page #9 at the top of the page after getting to page 9 scroll down and click on Rooster on Dec 13th.read all that (and then go).
We have M.S.on this forum and JS all go way above and beyond on giving you the help you need and many other great craftsman ,but I still suggest this school!!!And anything I can do also

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I use a piece of pine 2x4 to straighten the blade on the anvil.  Just get it to forging heat and lay the spine on the anvil and whack it with the wood.  It straightens it without deforming the edge like a steel hammer will.  When your piece of 2x4 gets all buggered up, just toss it and get another one, or a big stick.

Offline SCRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all this information, I agree watching someone would be invaluable experience .I have been using saw blades , disk blades , leaf springs and such and grinding my final shape , i recently bought 10 feet of 1084 bar stock and 5 feet of 5160 and figured out pretty quick hammering a blade to shape and profiling it is going to require lots of practice .Longbow 55 thanks for the info I will check the market bulletin and try to make one of those classes. Rooster 1 I will read the info. on page 9 .
Tippit thanks for the tutorial that really helps a lot . I have been coming to this site for a long time but have never posted , the talent here is remarkable and i have learned all i know from this forum .

Thanks guys .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©