INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Railroad spike?  (Read 307 times)

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
Railroad spike?
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
I was able to get my hands on some railroad spikes at work and was wondering what kind of steel they are made out of? I really want to start banging on them but I'm kind of lost as to what to do. I've only done stock removal up to this point. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Railroad spike?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
You can bang on them and make a great looking knife but they don't have enough carbon to make a great performing knife.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
the "HC" spikes,marked on the head, make a serviceable knife.I harden in water with no temper. Supposedly there is .4 C. I've butchered 2 deer with one and still decently sharp and close to indestructable....they are RR spikes.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Ive made some hawks with them, and was suprised at how they hold up. I did use the ones with an H on the top.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
H marked spikes vary between 0.40 carbon and 0.45 carbon.  Poke around on the web and look for the superquench recipe which works better than water on the spikes.  Also check out caseinite on Brownells website.  You heat the finished knife and then dip it into the powder and it gives a surface hardening by Carbon migration.  The hardened surface pretty shallow but does work.

I find that RR spike knives and hawks are pretty popular though I don't reccomend them as hunting knives.  They work but don't hold an edge like high carbon does.  

Spikes are cheap materials to buy and are great practice materials for learning skills without wasting money.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
I like the look of RR spike knives but I'm not going to spend the time forging one out when I know the edge won't be of as good as high carbon steel.  

I just forged a RR spike style out of round stock 5160.  I'll post some pictures on another thread...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll use the spikes for practice forging.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©