INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: New Twist---RR Spike Style  (Read 464 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Twist---RR Spike Style
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
I just got done reading that RR spike post.  I've always liked the look of RR spike knives but it's too much work (for me anyway) to end up with a lower quality blade edge. So I decided to see if I could do a RR spike look-a-like but with good high carbon steel.

Quest: 5160 round stock squared off to twist the handle and then to flatten the blade.  This was as much a project to help me get used to using my power hammer plus trying something different.

The handle was twisted then reverse twisted at the butt just for a different look.  Blade quenched fine with no warping even though I took the edge to finish.  Edge tested in the 60 range Rockwell as both old or new files skated without grabbing/digging in.  Blade is in the oven tempering now.  Nice thing about this one is I Don't even have to put para-cord handle on it    :biglaugh:    Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Twist---RR Spike Style
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
That's pretty cool looking and good exercise as well - at least for your power hammer!
Jeff, you'll come to find that warpage has far less to do with how thin your material is, or how many times you did or didn't thermal cycle, than it does to how equally and evenly your blade is shaped.
As well, blades that do NOT! get a lot of martensite created don't warp either!
(That's the first "red flag" that should go up when you hear someone say they never get warping! It's because they are probably NOT! making any martensite!)
The martensite "crystal" has a different size than the other grains in the steel - larger, actually.
So, if you shaped you blade unevenly and have more mass on one side of center than you do the other side of center, that side with the most mass wins!
It'll push your blade edge the other way.
Maybe you could make those knives and sell them to Gandy Dancers.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Karl,
Gandy Dancer...You got me there Karl!  I was almost afraid to Google Gandy Dancers  :biglaugh:  Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
RR spike impersonator finished.  I cut the tail off, polished blade, and put a convex edge on.  Color of blade is due to sun near sunset...kinda cool!  It feels real nice in the hand with the weight of the twisted handle.  I'll definitely do this again.  Maybe try and find some Gandy Dancers    :biglaugh:     Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline STILL-HUNTIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Prety cool little knife. It looks awkwardly heavy on the twisted end? Does it balance? Very cool looking!!! I like it!!!
"Anxiously awaiting the next hunt"

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
Karl,
Gandy Dancer...You got me there Karl!  I was almost afraid to Google Gandy Dancers   :biglaugh:   Jeff
I used to work on the railroad in 73-74. That term just always stuck with me.
Hey, I will amend my post above to say that one will also not get much warp if he is only edge quenching either - or only austenizing the cutting edge with a torch and quenching just the bottom portion.
There's a lot of ways to avoid warping, but the most important way - if you are seeking a lot of martensite - is even grinding.
Chief Joseph

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Karl,
I do edge quench plus my grinds are near finished to 400 grit when I quench.  I also normalise even while forging by going cooler & cooler as I get near finished.  Then normalise at and below non-magnetic 3-4 times before quenching.  My broken test blades have helped me immensely to see the texture inside the blade.  

Thanks for the helping info from the likes of you, Lin, Doug and others here   :notworthy:  

Now I have a Question:

I learned from a couple instructors at ABS symposiums that when you quench there is a short period of time right after the quench with the blade still HOT...That you can actually straighten a curve spine that may develop at quench by straightening by hand!  I have done this a couple of time with nice success.  You can not straighten a warped grind but you can straighten a curved spine.  Can you elaborate?  Thanks

Still-Huntin,
It actually balnces quite well.  The weight in the handle makes it feel very solid...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Sure - it's just that once you get the steel down below 900 in the required time, hold the blade in the oil for about a count of 8-9-10 and pull the blade out.
If you get a lot of smoke - but no flame - you should be around 400 degrees.
If it dries out really quickly you are probably too hot.
If it stays wet - but no smoke - then you waited too long.
Anyway, the creation of martensite takes time. It doesn't happen immediately.
You've got to get down below 400 for the creation of martensite to begin, but you've got yourself out of the pearlite range by getting down below 900 degrees in the required time.
In this little window of opportunity - around 400 degrees - the steel is amazingly malleable.
Pull it out of the oil and give it a look. I have a hard time with it because of all the smoke! But if there is an obvious bend in the blade, you can almost bend it with bare hands! Not really bare, but with welding gloves on because it's 400 degrees - right?
It is so easy to bend that it's not difficult to bend it too far the other way! I've done that on more than one occasion.
Let me know if any of that makes sense.
Chief Joseph

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
very cool...

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I know that I can do it and I always check to see if needed...but now I know why!  Karl...thanks once again.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I do like your style!  Great creation!

Steve
-------
Potomac Forge

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Great looking knife! I love the twists and was hoping to turn my spikes into something like that after a lot of practice.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
I did forget to say that once you have done your checking and fixing, and don't waste any time, you need to get your blade right back in the oil to cool.
This also helps to gradually even out the heat reduction in the blade, in addition to checking for warps, this way the different thicknesses of steel cool down at the same rate.
You may have heard the term "interrupted quench" before.
I do it whether I'm looking for warps or not.
But I'll bet you knew that.
Chief Joseph

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Karl,
You would have lost some money on that bet  :)   But I understand the process a lot better now. Jim Babson went over this a couple of times but it seems like I didn't have all the pieces of the puzzle.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
very cool...never seen one like that

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©