3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Terry and anyone who uses 4 bladeBH............?  (Read 540 times)

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Terry and anyone who uses 4 bladeBH............?
« on: January 27, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Hello all! Been a long time since I've been here............feels good LOL.
Just had a couple questions for ya I've been wondering about.

1. Why do you prefer a 4 blade BH over a 2 or 3? I am thinking about using a Magnus 4 blade but am alittle concerned about penetration. Do 4 bladers fly much different? What fletching configuration do you use?

My current set-up is a Damon Howatt Hunter 55lbs at 28". I will also be point loading my GT arrows with a 100 or 125 grn broadhead adapter

and 2. I just have to ask whats up with your hunting hat? never seen anything like it.
Thanks all! HH

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Terry and anyone who uses 4 bladeBH............?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
Humble... I'm a little surprised that a ton of people haven't jumped all over this one. I'll bet when I stick my neck out there'll be a bunch with hatchets that come out of the woodwork.
    ;)  

Here's my thoughts on the questions...

1.I just prefer a four blade over a two blade. I'll certainly use a three blade and don't have a problem with a two blade (used them for many years and killed a lot of game with them), but in order of preference it runs the way I listed them.

It's my personal opinion that lots of guys worry/obsess over penetration and for the most part I think it's wasted energy.

Multiblade heads penetrate just fine. Shoot them where they are supposed to go and there'll be no problems. Shoot them where they aren't supposed to go and it becomes a crap shoot... regardless!

There's lots more ways to shoot an animal bad than hitting it in heavy bone.
I'll take a massive "X" through an animals liver or intestines over a "-" any day.

I've also had much more consistent blood trails with multiblade heads and I find that to be very reassuring.

I can practice all summer long with my Magnus I's without the bleeders in and make the switch to having them in without batting an eye. Makes no difference that I can see.

I have prefered 4 fletch 5" parabolics for ages and don't plan on switching anytime soon. They stabilize my big broadheads under any conditions and I'll give up a couple FPS for that stability.

2. That hat is Terry's version of a Ghillie hat. It's...er... unique.
   :scared:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I've killed plenty of game with all types of heads. When razor sharp they are all lethal. I use multiblade heads for the simple reason that they leave better bloodtrails. Penetration has never been a problem.  When Fred Bear designed the four blade Razorhead the average bow weight was in the 40's. My wife shoots four blade Phantoms from a 45# recurve and gets two holes every time.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Unlike most people I change the type/weight of the broadhead used to get specific arrows to fly from different bows with little concern for penetration.  Like Charlie and Bill mentioned shot placement and sharpness are by far the most important factors in killing a critter.  My broadhead preference in order are the four blade eclipse (155gr), followed by the woodsmen (125gr), then the Grizzly (190).
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
I shoot a 4 blade Zwickey and have for a bunch of years, the bleeders are fairly small, but do seem to open a little more of a hole. I think Fred Bear designed the bear razor, where the bleeder would open a larger hole to increase shaft penetration, and made them  (bleeder blade) where it would break loose if it did hit bone. I guessFred knew what he was talkin about, but on deer and hogs etc. I havent seen any penetration diffrence between a true 2 blade or one with bleeders..I have never killed a animal with a 3 blade (killed a buttload with 2 blade and 2 blade with bleeders in 35 yrs bowhuntin) just cause I never saw a real need in usin a 3 blade. So I cant tell ya anything about those
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I agree with Charlie, use a sharp BH and put in the right place, that's all that matters.

Alan

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Charlie, which 4 blade do you use?
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
I use a steel force 150 grain hellfire screw-in four blade which is actually a two blade with two large bleeders. This eliminate any issues with too much blade contact at the same time. Their cut on impact and razor sharp out of the package.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
Good talk by Monte Browning at Kzoo about BH's. Long story short... Zwicky Delta 4 blade or Bear Razor w/ bleeder or Magnus w/bleeder. Your results may vary, but its hard to argue with success and experience.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
Lewis... I have used the Magnus I w/bleeder since before the beginning. Let me clarify that statement... Fred Asbell was selling a modified Zwickey Delta (modified for bleeder). Fred quit messing with them when Mike Sohm started Magnus.

I started getting them from Mike... who was also modifiying the Delta. Eventually Mike made his own version and the rest is history.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
I have the arrow with a Magnas 4 blade that I watched Charlie take a mullie buck with. Never seen a blood trail like that one.
Yep, Charlie can count me as a convert, I've seen the red  :readit:    :)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
yeah but did you find it?   :p

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
yeah, it looks like they are lost.   ;)
Very cool pic !   :thumbsup:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
I wouldn't mind putting the bleeders in my Scirocco bheads, but how d y'all get that dinky lil blade sharp?  I don't wnat em in there dull...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Jeff,
That is one of several reasons I like Eclipse with bleeders, the bleeders are pre-sharpened and made of a stainless/non-rusting metal much like the replaceable blades on some broadheads.  I touch them up with a hone and they are as sharp enough to shave arm hairs.  One other thing with the Eclipse bleeders is I glue them into place with a couple drops of supper glue or they have a tendency to shift slightly to one side when drawn from my quiver.  I haven’t found misaligned bleeders to affect the flight of the arrow but don’t want to take a chance.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline MG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Can you use steel BH adaptors with the Magnus 4 blades?? I like the long steel adaptors.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
Charlie, I just bought some 4 blade Deltas because I only saw the Magnus I offered in a two blade. Where are you getting a 4 blade model??
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Lewis, we have 4 blade Mag I's.

http://www.braveheartarchery.us/new_page_3.htm  

MG - the only steel adapter you would be able to use with a Magnus 4 blade is the 75 grain medium.  The others are too long for Magnus and Eclipse 4 blades.   :(
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I have a small stash of the Mohawk Magnum I broad heads. They are wide and are four bladed. Bout all I use for hunting now. They leave an awesome hole on pigs and deer and I would not be afraid to shoot anything with them.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©