3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finished up a few mounts  (Read 1214 times)

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Finished up a few mounts
« on: February 03, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Well I finally finished a few  mounts from the last few years.  Just figured id see what you guys think.  Any suggestions would be great.  Also what color fabric do you think would look good around the bear.  Also the big rack on the ground is up next cant figure out what form to get.  Anyone got any ideas I’m leaning towards a pedestal semi sneak left turn.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finished up a few mounts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Beautiful work, is that dark one a Sika?

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks, yea it is a sika.  And those suckers are smart.  For a off season hunt those things will sure test you.  When I got down to this place (I went with a few buddies) I was talking trash saying will all be done by noon what a joke on and on.(it was a canned hunt)  Well after the first day I shut my mouth real fast lol.  It was a fun time.  It’s still not a real "hunt" so to speak but it was a blast for something to do in the off season.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Looks like bondo'd ears? The right one on the whitetail looks like that top of it isin't correctly lined up, ear butts look the right size but lack correct anytomical shape,Paint is to bright ( to much ) also for all the animals. Mule deer ear butts look way to small (thin) and no detail. the right ear on the muley also looks like it isn't correctly lines up. I see your tear ducts are opened up also, Keep tabs on them while the animals dry and keep them tight. Throat patch on mule deer looks to far left, I'm seeing to much of it on the left side of the deer. Trim the hair up against the board, this will look real nice. without more pics from all sides and up close of the eyes thats all I can see right now. Spend the money on good reference photos or go to a farm and take some pics. Most times they will just let you in.

How many have you done? You can post topics like this on  www.taxidermy.net  and get feedback from taxidermist from around the world. You should look into feedback from taxidermist cause "not bashing anyone when saying this"  you'll get years of experience in anything you need questions about.
TGMM

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Ear liners on the whitetail, and bondo on the muley (what a mess lol).  That was the first go around on anything but whitetails.  I’ve done I think 4 other whitetail heads.  I worked a QDM booth in WI with a taxidermist and just kind of started playing with it.  Ill check into the other site! Thanks.  Ill take some more pics what areas do you want a better look at.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
That site is awesome im going to live on it lol.  I looked at the muley I should have made the ear butts bigger The patch on the muley looks centered to me.  Do you have any recommendations on the ear buts to make them more realistic?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
Real nice work.Your as good as most Ive seen that havent been to a school.Good as some that have had school even.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Whitebuffalo you must be a taxidermist. I didnt notice anything wrong but I know when you do something for a living you notice everything. I own a Paint Contracting business and when I walk into a house I can notice every flaw in a paint job in about 30 seconds that most people would never notice. LOL
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!  I like doing it, gives me something to do in the off season, and it saves me money lol.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
ReviveOurHomes. You couldn't be more right. wifishkiller I'm glad you like the sight,just be carefull cause on there your faregame for about any abuse. Best advise I could give you if you didn't want any schooling is keep doing you own stuff and get excellent refference photos and study the critters your most likely to mount. Going to a deer farm will open big doors for you in what you need and You might get away with it for free. These are a couple of refference photos like I'm talking about.

If you love doing it,go forward and do it. Words I've always lived by. Take care. I go by the handle whitebuffalo on the other sight to so I'm no stranger there eather.  :campfire:
TGMM

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Wow your right I will be getting some good pics for the next ones!  That would have been a big help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©