INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Homemade charcoal questions  (Read 346 times)

Offline Broke another one

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade charcoal questions
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I recently found a article that said you can make charcoal.
Get a good fire going then kill it. After its cooled, take the black, very light, pieces from the fire and repeat. The black pieces are the charcoal. The article said these pieces burned very hot very fast with no clinkers (which is great because I live down in Florida were coal is hard to come by). I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this stuff out.
Any information anyone can spare would very welcomed.
If I am wrong let me know it.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade charcoal questions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Do some exhaustive research and you will find a lot of different ways to make charcoal.  The key element is to keep the wood buring with little oxygen supply.  This keeps total burn from occuring and leaves mainly charcoal for your use.  In the old days the charcoal makers would build large pits and when the fire was going would cover it with a woven limb mesh coated with mud.  They would then make a mud cover over the mesh to steal the oxygen from the fire.  The wood would smolder for hours or days producing the charcoal.  

One easy and cheap idea is to go into an area that has burned over and pick up the burned logs laying around.  They are mainly charcoal and free.  Just make sure it is legal in your area.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Do you know how hot it can burn?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
With one form or another of forced air it can burn hot enough to melt steel.  Entire forests were cut down in the middle ages to fuel the blacksmiths forges.  They often used the charcoal not only to forge steel but to smelt steel in the first place.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Yes, that is all I needed to know. Thank you so much for all your help.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I don't use a coal forge, but have really gotten into real charcoal as opposed to manmade briquets, for outdoor cooking.

I found some tremendous charcoal at the dollar store that's made from hickory and burns like a dream...for like 3 dollars for a big bag.

If you just want to experiment I suggest you call around and see if you can find some of that and work with it a couple times- if you like it- you can go to the trouble of making your own.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mark N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
I saw a video on Youtube on how to make it, using a 55gal drum with a lid. Purgatory Forge sticks in my mind, but I may be mistaken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©