3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: colorado elk units  (Read 1059 times)

Offline ks8674

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
colorado elk units
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
I have been hunting elk in Colorado for about 8 years now with a compound. We have had pretty good success. This year we are going with longbows and are looking for a unit that is well suited for traditional archery. There are 3 of us going and all of have at least 2 preference points. Does anyone have any units that they would suggest? Appreciate any help or comments!!

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: colorado elk units
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Depends on what type of hunt you want.  If you want to pack back in, using your backpacks, etc. I would suggest the Rawaha Wilderness Area.  There is a big parking area at the trail head.  Usually you will have to hike in about 5-6 miles.  It is a pretty good area, and I don't think you need points.  Yes it is a draw area, but there are usually 200-300 leftover licenses.  You can send in for the draw at the regular time and get the license or get them after the draw at any license place ( sporting goods stores), etc.
The Rawah Wilderness Area in in northern central Colo.  It is a pretty big area, but there are good trails going into it.  Many people ride horses into it.  I believe it is area 7-8-9.  When you get the license, it covers all of these areas.  Basiclly you are west of Ft. Collins about 30-40 miles.  Check the map.  Quite a few people hunt this area, but it is a big area.  Also the elk are pretty vocal in this area.  A lot of bugiling, especially if the weather turns cold or we get a light snow.  That really gets them going.

Good Luck

Offline bowbert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
I'd go to the Flat Tops.  I hunted 7-8-9 for 3 weeks last year and saw lots of hunters.  The elk were wise and I couldn't believe how many hunters I saw.

Hunted north of Eagle, in the flat tops, for 5 years, and the hunting was much better.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
Might look into Unit 66 and 67.  Last I knew I think you could draw 67 with 3 points and 66 took 4 points.  I believe both have some wilderness area.  There used to be a website called huntodds.com.  If it's still around they gave all the info on points it took per unit.  Hope this helps.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline elkkrazy8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I think you would be better off staying in the area where you have had success.I DONT THINK IT WOULD MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE.tHE MORE YOU LEARN ABOUT A CERTAIN AREA,THE BETTER YOUR ODDS ARE.i'VE BEEN THERE 4 YEARS WITH COMPOUND. This will be my first with a recurve.This is my 2 cents,but i wouldn't think of changing areas when i've had success.
              Bill

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
I would have to agree with elkkrazy8.  Sometimes it's nice just to try something different, but if you really want to up your chance of success, and you already know an area where you have had some in the past, you are far ahead to go back there.  Knowledge of the area is one of the biggest advantages you can have.  Every hunt I've ever been on it seems like toward the end of the hunt I am finally starting to get a feel for what's going on and how to hunt it.  Being able to hit the ground running is a huge advantage and eliminates days of just learning how to get around a new area.
I don't think there is any difference of a traditional archery area versus a compound area.  If you know how to hunt elk you can be successful with the longbows.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Yep for Elkcrazy and Whip. I'm curious, ks, how in your mind you're concerned that cutting your shot distance from 30 to 20 yards, shooting instinctively rather than with sights, etc., can be compensated for in switching hunting units. Absolutely no criticism is meant here. It just confused me -- your cocern, that is -- and I'm curious. If you've had 8 years here with good luck in certain units, you're way ahead of most others. Keep on keepin' on, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the enhances focus on woodsmanship, vs. technology, that hunting trad will bring. Have fun and congrats.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
I've hunted the Rawah and I've hunted Unit 67 in the West Elk wilderness.  I was not overly impressed with either, due to the high number of hunters.  I packed in with horses in Unit 67 about 7/8 miles and couldn't get away from other hunters.

It's been my experience in chasing western elk that the number one issue for the aging baby boomer generation is to get in good physical shape...the mountain will have it's way with you.  It is neither generous nor stingy; it just is...
That said, Elkcrazy and Whip nailed the advice on which area to select.  So long as you know there are animals in the zone you're familiar with, you know the terraine and the wind's tricks, you're far ahead of the game.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Why jump ship from good units? Like Dave said- Keep on-keepin on! Think you will find thta longbow can get the job done.

Course it is fun to try new spots, love it when these threds come up casue I am gonna give myself one of these trips when I get through with this college stuff.

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
Definitely don't switch units if you've had success in the past.  As mentioned above, probably 80% of the battle is getting to know the country and what areas the elk frequent.  We don't have any "trad-only" areas in Colorado so no units are any more or less suited to traditional equipment.

Mike

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Does anyone know if area 4 requires any points in the draw system.  Last time I hunted there it was open but now I hear it is draw.  I have no points.
capt eddie

Offline Okie 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I agree with everyone that says if you are having success stay were you are. As far as your points go save them for unit 76. We hunted there 4 years ago (gun) and had 100% success. It looks to me like awesome bow country. I can't wait to get 2 more points so I can put in for it again (longbow this time). Also I tried a new area last year, spent 9 days there and on the 9th day we still didn't know where we were or where the elk were.

John
Take a kid hunt'n. (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old?!) Bear Creek Selfbows

Offline ks8674

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info! I have shot a bull in unit 12,two cows and 2 mule deer in unit 15. All of the elk shots were under 20 yards. One mule deer was out to 48 yards. We were just looking to explore a little more this year, maybe find an area where a lot of guys are hunting with traditional gear. While everyone has elk on the brain...what arrow and broadhead combination/weight has work for everyone? I will be shooting a bw pl2 55#@27. I am thinking of using the beman mfx with 100gr. brass insert and stinger on the business end(total weight about 570gr). The bemans are flying really well for me. Just a little worried about shaft weight and getting the best penetration.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
KS....Arrow is too light in my opinion.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Dave....What unit is Little Yellowstone in?
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
"Dave....What unit is Little Yellowstone in?" Richie, no disrespect but I hope that Dave does not answer you on this one, at least not on the public thread. Perhaps a Private Message would suffice here. Your beautiful bull you killed last year certainly once knew where Little Yellowstone was. T.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline T-Bone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
KS, your setup is good to go IMHO.  I've hunted unit 15 for the last 12 years with average success.  15 used to be a great unit.  But in recent years has become overrun by hunters after it was featured in a couple of magazines.  I finally gave up and left to hunt 35 and 36 last year.  No regrets.  I completely understand why your are looking into another unit.  15 definitely has a good population of elk, but the population of hunters is higher. I'd find another unit too.  What the others above have said is all true, but when your talking about unit 15, that may be the exception to their sound advice.  Units that I would consider are 421,52,521,14,16,43,45,35,36,42,54,and 78.They all are better than 15 and a decent access to public land.  You might want to check out GMUresearch.com for population and other specifics.

Good luck!

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 04:40:00 AM »
yea....my bad...I didn't think of that.  I really meant Big Yellowstone.  I think I may poach this summer on my family vacation...

T.Downing...How do you know where that is?
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline lil jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
i'd like to go, if my dad would let me, and if we could afford it
I dont hunt to live, I live to hunt... It's better to be the preditor than the prey

Offline elkkrazy8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Has anyone done any hunting in the maroon bells snowmass area.I have never hunted it, looks like it would be awfully rugged and steep.
      Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©