INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ok got er dunn! MATH ?  (Read 404 times)

Offline prarieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok got er dunn! MATH ?
« on: December 08, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Hey Folks I have a file that is 3/8" thick I would like my primary bevels to end 7/8" from the edge of the blade. I need  to know the angle to make that happen!
 Better yet to know how to figure out that angle!!!!
 Thanks for Your help.
 Hope this ain't so simple as to make someone spray coffe on their screen in a fit of laughter!!!!

Ok this knife is a family linage I rekon!It is for freinds Grandson.The file it is made from I located in The childs Great Great Grandads
Farm Smithy!The antler is a drop from the Family property.The black leather I used for the inlay were a pair of airforce issue gloves that
 belonged to his great granddad.The rattle snake skin inlay is a snake that I killed while deer hunting their property.The brand of course
is the family brand.
C-Ya Bob
Look up!It's ALL above us.

Offline Cody D Works

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ok got er dunn! MATH ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
remember soh cah toa

you know the thickness and the width of the file so you have the opposite and adjacent sides so

tan(-1)((opposite=width - 7/8)/(adjacent=(3/16" for double and 3/8" for single))

i think i did this correct it has been a while since i have done this and i did this without a piece of paper lol....

or you could draw on a piece of paper a 3/16" vertical line then draw the width of the bevels making a right triangle with the hypotenuse facing down the angle you need will be the one between the two ends

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I think your making this way harder than it needs to be.  Mark the blade with a scribe or other mark at 7/8 of an inch from the edge.  Mark what will be the sharp edge of the blade with a scribe to the thickness you want it ( two lines ) centered on what will eventually be the edge of the blade.  Grind or file until the bevel is flat between the line 7/8 from the edge and the upper mark on the actual edge of the blade.  This method leaves very little measuring with no math involved.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Wow!!You guys crack me up LOL

I usually just go with sharp and point'ey

I can't stop laughing  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline Cody D Works

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I like geometry he asked about math. Usually I just go at till the bevels look alright lol

Offline prarieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
OK so as I ....kinda guessed You are all wipin coffee or bee_ off of Your monitors now!
 Growin some Cahones' now! I'll show Ya the end.
Look up!It's ALL above us.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Get to it prarieboy.  The only way to learn is to do it.  Plus a few failures along the way will teach you as much about knife making as your successes will.  We will look forward to seeing your first knife.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©