INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hi Guy"s  (Read 352 times)

Offline J CARPY

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi Guy"s
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Hi Guy's
I'm a newbee. If you have felt someone looking over your shoulder the last few months, that was me.
I really have enjoyed being a peeping tom, but figured I had to fess up.
Well here goes!
I am from La.
I have been a traditional archer for years, and have built a few D style long bows. I love to hunt and fish.
I have seen trad gang for several years, but never really liked computers,but I work on one all day now. I have started a good hobby for stress relief.
I have a few tools grinders,drill press, band saw, etc. since I have been reading ya'lls post I have rebuilt all of my wife's kitchen knives, and sharpened.Brownie points are always good. I Purchased a couple of cheaters as ya'll call them. I wanted to finish them for my grandchildren. I have put scales on them,I have questions on that subject also.
Meanwhile I have aquired some saw mill blades, cut out a couple of knives, and ground down with 80 grit. I do not have a kiln, but am planning on building (purchasinng) one. I do not want to do either until I know what I need. I'm looking for a lot of guidance.
I hate to be too long winded, but I am excited about being here.
I hope this will be a long friendship.
Thanks again for the info that you did not know you were giving me.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hi Guy"s
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Welcome Joe. Let us know what we can do to help. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline jackie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
learn to say  MY NAME IS JOE AND I'AM A KNIFE MAKING AHOLIC.  no meeting to go to. just fun fun fun welcome to the greatest wealth of information there is on knife making welcome   jackie

Offline J CARPY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks!
I am really looking forward to this.
MY NAME IS JOE, AND I HAVE NOT BEEN TO THE SHOP IN 2 HOURS!!!
But I have 2 sitting on the counter top calling my name.
I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!LOL

Offline J CARPY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Now on to business.
I have scales (cocobolo / zebrawood)on my cheaters, I started out with 80 grit, went to 120, and then to heavy steel wool, all the way down to a fine steel wool. A friend of mine uses sanding sealer to get rid of the pores in the wood, but nI don't know if there is a better way. I was using some osage previously and it was not as bad. I have some quince (pretty) and it does not seem to have the problem.
Any Ideas?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Use thin cyanocryolate ( super glue )to fill in the pores.  Or you can use Tung or Danish oil and leave the pores in the wood for character.  If you like the oil finish you can use hard canuba wax and lots of coats to fill the pores and get a glass like finish on your handles.

Welcome to the knife addiction.  This hobby is a lot of fun.  Poke around on the web for forge designs and forge building tips.  There are a couple of really good sites with tutorials, plans, etc....  Also look for bladesmithing community sites that are similar to Trad Gang.  Tons of info out there if you look for it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Welcome Joe,
This sight is really cool with a wealth of info.
As time goes on you will be very particular on your woods,just try them all.LOL
Just keep making them and make every knife a little better than the last.
Most of all HAVE FUN
Kevin

Offline J CARPY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guy's. I have been admiring your work. I can only hope to get that good.
Looking forward to the journey!

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I thought I detected a strange presence. It was you! You've found a great place with a great bunch of guys to learn from.

Offline Todd Robbins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I haven't done this on a knife, but have on a clock kit I built, after reading about this technique in a woodworking magazine.  When finishing open grain hardwoods, use a finishing oil like tung oil or linseed oil.  When you get the piece sanded to 220 grit, start using the oil as a sanding lubricant.  Sand it about twice as long as you think it needs.  This will develop a slurry of oil and sanding dust that will fill the pores.  When you're ready to move up a grit, wipe it down with light pressure in the direction of the grain.  You can take it down as fine as you want, as long as you remember to wipe it down lightly in the direction of the grain after each grit.  I used Johnson's floor wax on the clock after it was finished, and it looks great.  I'm not sure how well this finish will hold up on a knife, but I expect it would do fine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©