INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bone Question  (Read 319 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Bone Question
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
I've noticed Giraffe bone in some of the handles here and was wondering what all bones (critter wise) makes good handle material?  I can likely get bones (not antlers or horns) from Brown and Grizzly bears, Dall Sheep, and the occasional moose.  Is there a process with the bones (like drying them) to make them suitable to use?  Figured I'd just check and see since this might be a really cheap way to get some neat stuff.  Thanks

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bone Question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
If you use your imagination the sky's the limit Jeremy. There is a ton of cool stuff out there just waiting to be handle material.

I use a lot of sheephorn and moose makes one of the best antler scale materials because of it's density.

Sounds like you maybe get up to AK, that is one of the best places to obtain walrus and whale ivory or oosik.

Doug
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I've used deer leg bone as well as giraffe and camel bone. I've seen jaw bones used and some bear leg bone used. Lots of African antelope dyed and stabilized leg bones for sale.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©