INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: True Grit  (Read 385 times)

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
True Grit
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Some nice looking knives in the new True Grit movie.  Rooster has a nice mid-size bowie with silver pins all around the handle.  The stabbing in the cabin is done with a bone handled hunter and there's a very fancy dagger on a skeleton down in the snake pit that the girl tries to get to cut herself free from the roots.  My wife made fun of me and claimed I paid more attention to the knives than the rest of the movie.
Don't know if any of these are period correct to the late 19th century, but they sure look nice.  

Good movie too.  I have to admit I thought they were crazy to try to remake a John Wayne western, but I think it's as good as the original, just different.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: True Grit
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
I agree Wampus. It was very good, just a little different, but not enough to be too distracting. I noticed the knives too. Next time I'll watch even closer being I was caught up in the movie this time. I noticed Mattie had a nice little bowie too. IMO, Jeff Bridges was a good pick for the part.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Yep pretty good show, been too long since I saw the orig, gotta dig it out...

Like Lin I saw some nice knives but was too wrapped up in the movie to notice details. I'll watch closer next time.   :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:
 I noticed Mattie had a nice little bowie too. IMO, Jeff Bridges was a good pick for the part.
I think that's the same one I was calling Rooster's knife.  After she cuts the rope and climbs back down the tree, she hands it to Rooster and he puts it in his belt behind his back.  
That was also the best work I've ever seen Matt Damon do.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Dang! I didn't see her hand it to him. I missed that detail. I'm not the kind to watch movies over and over, but I will watch this one again to see what else I missed. I am really curious about the maker of those knives.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©