INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Forging At last!  (Read 419 times)

Offline Cody D Works

• Trad Bowhunter
Forging At last!
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
So yesterday I got my forge built.

I use an all hardwood charcoal. And a hairdryer. The hair dryer is WAY too strong but i found out today that you can put a piece of paper over the intake hole and dial it down. This is very useful. Yesterday i burnt the ends off two RR spike knives and today i burnt the tang off of two knives i was forging from a file. The forge gets alot hotter than i expected.

here are some of my more sucessful attempts i have a long way to go before i get up to par with the talent on here.

These are today's projects. The little thing was going to be a full tang knife but i kept burning the tang off

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Forging At last!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Looks like your having fun, and learning alot too!

Steve
------
Potomac Forges

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
im jealous cody, i am in the process of trying to build a gas forge myself. keep up the good work.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline Cody D Works

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
man let me tell you... this is way more fun than i imagined. I cant wait to either make or get me some tongs. I am using channel locks and Vise Grips and they get EXTREMELY hot so i have to keep a small can of water just for them.

Yesterday i went through 20lbs of charcoal and that was in a couple hours today i probably went through 5-10 in about 4 hours since i "fixed" the hair dryer. I am going to have to search for a better sourch but my local grocer carries 20# bags for $11.

Cant wait to get an anvil. I am using a RR track about 18-20" 100#s on end for an anvil. It is set up on a stump i will post a picture when i can. It is a little high. I am going to have to lower it about 1-2"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Enjoy the learning process and use what you have until you can afford the normal tools.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Cody D Works

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I plan on wiring in a dimmer switch for the hair dryer. So the sparks when bright yellow are the carbon burning off? that explains alot. I have been trying to keep it at a yellow orange when i start hammering. it is hard to judge the heat in a coal forge so i have to watch it closely. Since i have such a small forge i have to continuosly add coal. I have a better idea of what is needed now that i have built one. I will probably stick with this one but add about a 24-36" sq table around the center of my current forge but i want to cut it down about and inch. to allow a shallower firepot this one is a lil too deep. I need to cut a coupl slits in it to allow longer stock. I cant heat up my lawn mower blades to cut em down to practice shaping em.

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Hey Cody, that looks like a blast!  Do you have plans or anything that would list all the parts/supplies you used to put that together?

Thanks!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Cody D Works

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
it's essentially a brakedrum forge, it's a tire rim, with 2" black steel pipe for connectors welded in and a $10 hair dryer. I used 1/8" sheet with holes drilled in it with the 6" black pipe nipple welded to it, the "T" screws on it. The legs are pipes my bro in law had with rebar inserted in it. It's completely breakdownable and can fit in my trunk.

so:

1-tire rim
2- 2" black pipe 6" nipples
1- "T"
1- 24" long 2" pipe with one side threaded
3- pieces rebar
3- 6" pieces square tubing or pipe for the rebar to go into.
1- piece 1/8" sheet metal that fits inside rim

drill holes in center of 1/8" sheet for the air to go through

then weld sheet into rim

weld 1- 6" nipple to sheet with holes centered on pipe

weld 6" tubing for leg inserts

then assemble....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©