INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: stabilized knife scales at home--  (Read 344 times)

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
stabilized knife scales at home--
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Its almost done.I stabilized the wooden scales at home & it worked out very nice.I beleive the wood is ?? Tulip wood or something like that.??

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stabilized knife scales at home--
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
thats nice rick, tell us how you did it and show some pictures of the hole knife
dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline oldpaths

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Very nice!and I second Dana's request.
Colossians 3:23

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
I tried to put on 3 pics but it will only put 1 on.I will post a picture of the whole knife.First I will explain how I stabilized the scales.I got a (1)large coffe can(2) a small glass jar just large enough to hold a quart of Minwax wood hardener & your knife scales)Min Wax wood hardener(Home Depot)Dump the hardener in the jar.....2/3rds full---Punch a very small hole in the bottom of the coffe can----put the jar with the scales in  in the can & put the top on the jar loosly!!!!!!....get some boiling water & start putting the boiling water in the coffe can.The water will slowly seep thru the bottom of the can--so keep it full of hot water for about 1/2 hour.When the glass jar gets really hot to touch & after 1/2 hour take the jar out of the coffee can and tighten the lid of the jar very tight & let it sit for 24 hours.Walla stabilized knife scales.I made 2 sets of scales & was afraid they would warp until dry so I put them all togeather with 2 C-clamps & tightened them very tight & it did not leave the slightest impression very hard & beautiful...The Min-wax hardener is very flamible so dont heat with anything but water...Let me know how you make out.Now I will try & post a picture of the whole knife.

Its not buffed or sharpened yet..Let me know how things go.Rick

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
I watched this done while browsing around on You-tube & found a guy that demonstrated this.I made the mosaic pins also..Just trying to save a little money if I can.The vidio demo said to leave the scales in the jar for a week but I didn't think that was necessary.24 hours in my opinion is enough...

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
I will post another pic. of the things I used.

When your done with the scales just store the hardener in your jar until you need to stabilize again....

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
It will fizz and bubble when the hardener gets hot It just the pours of the wood filling up.I'm horrible at explaining things so I hope it works out..Rick...

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
Also my scales were 3/8 of an inch thick..Not sure if the hardener would go all the way thru the wood if they were thicker than 1/2 "....

Offline Idahomike251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Wow! What a great piece of information. Thank you Rick, for sharing this information.  Best regards, Mike from Boise.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©