INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Knife Patina Question  (Read 305 times)

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
Knife Patina Question
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
I've been messing around with some old high carbon blade hunting knives trying out some forced patina's with vinegar on the blades.  It looked pretty cool.  I then tried some gun bluing on them which really stained them black (I kinda like it). My question is if anyone else has tried gun bluing on high carbon blades and is it still safe to use for field dressing and skinning. Thanks.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knife Patina Question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
Bluing is safe for field dressing and skinning.  Once blued just clean and buff the blades.  Bluing is a form of rusting which forms ferric oxide on the steels surface.  The bluing doesn't rub off onto the meat.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knife Patina Question
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks Clay, one of the old blades that I put the bluing on is the first hunting knife I ever bought (I was 12 years old). It's a Mora (Swedish made) that I bought at a gas station.  I always thought it was crap but have since learned that although inexpensive it takes a nice edge. I thought it would be fun to use it on a deer sometime. I just wanted to make sure that the bluing wouldn't ruin any meat.  Thanks again.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©