INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: TINK, I heard the dreaded noise today  (Read 357 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
TINK, I heard the dreaded noise today
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
As usual I am fiddling around with new techniques and trying to learn new things.  I was working on interupted quenching a set of skinning knives today and heard the dreaded tink on two seperate blades.  

The technique I am working with is an interupted quench.  The blades are made from modern Heller horse rasps I get from a farrier buddy of mine.  The blades were triple normalized prior to quenching.  I took the blades to nonmagnetic and held them at that temp for 2 minutes each.  The blades were edge quenched in air temp water ( 65 degrees ) to black around 850 to 900 degrees, and then moved to finish quench in 130 degree canola oil. Heller rasps are 1095 steel.   The  bevels, and edges were even, I have the blades in the tempering oven and will take the scale off with vinegar to find out where the cracks occurred.

I have an armguard knife from a prior tink and now, two skinning knives that have small cracks in them.  Being a knife maker so far has meant I never have one of my own knives to use. Every time I make myself a knife someone wants it bad enough I end up giving it up.   I am going to work these knives up, put and edge on them and then use the you know what out of them to see what happens with them over time.  I won't let anyone else have these since they are failed blades.  I figure if nothing else I will get three shop knives out of the blades.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TINK, I heard the dreaded noise today
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I'm sure the moment the sound came was a little bitter after all that work...  But knowing you, I'm sure you'll continue looking at ways to be better at what you do.  I guess like you said, at least you have 2 more knives now.

I don't suppose your Heller rasps are Red Tangs?  Those are the ones I have and have been wondering what steel they are. They 1095, too?

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Jeremy,

They should be 1095 if they are from Heller.  You can try to find specific info on the Heller website.  They may list that particular rasps steel type in a catalog.  Another option is to contact Heller directly and they can tell you what the steel type is.  They will either be 1095 or higher carbon steel.

I like to look at the positive side.  As mentioned I have a couple of new shop knives.  Plus I bet they work great despite minor cracks.
Clay Walker

Offline srtben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
sorry too here that! I would personally avoid quenching in water. Unless you are using a lower carbon steel, veg oil is actually a quite fast quench and you'll end up with a lot less tinks and warped blades. Most of the metal sights list 1095 as an oil quench steel. just my 2 cents.
Ben Tendick

God, Family, Friends.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
SRT Ben,

Thanks for that info.  I have worked quite a few rasp and file knives sucessfully with canola oil.  I am fiddling with an interupted quench to try getting good Hamon on my blades.  From reading and research a water quench causes cracking when the steel is converting to full martensite at 500 degrees or so.  Hence the interupted quench to oil at 850.  I suspect that having the oil at 130 degrees made it to fast of a quench for 1095 to survive.  My other blades were quenched in my goop.
Clay Walker

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Not an expert on this at all, so I'll stay away from my opinion on what might have caused your tinks using water (more of an oil guy, but i think water temp maybe).
Glad to hear that you dont have a blade for yourself as a knifemaker either. Getting around to a dedicated "me" knife finally after all these years.  This place is full of good info, so I'm sure you'll get a helpful response quickly.  

Good luck, Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©