3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Killdeer, you shoulda been there...  (Read 414 times)

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
Killdeer, you shoulda been there...
« on: January 28, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
I stopped by the local sporting goods shop today.  This is the kind of place with an old woodstove on slow burn in the corner,  a hodge-podge of hunters and shooters sitting around in various odd chairs drinking coffee and eating Nabs, and five different disjointed conversations running at once.  The woman that runs the shop is in on every conversation while she fixes arrows, bore-sights a scope, or horse-trades guns with customers.  It's the kind of place that I think of when you mention your weekly "meetings" with the crew.  There is one wall with assorted archery gear and none of it seems to be too organized.

Well I walked in today for an iced tea and a catch -up.  The proprietor smiled at me and said "I have something for you to look at."  She pulled two Bear bows out of the corner and headed my way.  I thought she was going to cut herself on the exposed Razorheads in the old arrow holders/quiver when she stopped half way to answer the phone.  She finally handed the bows to me and asked if I was interested or if I could tell her a fair market value.  One was a Cub that seems to be a late '50s model and the other was a Kodiak Magnum that might be a 1976.

I looked them over with glee as I tried to make notes of distinctive features.  I know little about dating and valuing these without looking up the info each time.  The Kodiak Magnum had a string and stringer wrapped around the Bear quiver.  After a little inspection I braced it and inspected again, but made no measure of fistmele.  I went out to the truck and pulled three arrows from my own quiver and snuck behind the shop for some fun.  That little bow is marked 45# but it put my 720 grain arrows in the same place that my 60# bow does after just three shots.  I centered a 2X4 at 29 yards - lucky shot but it made me like the little bow even more.  I'm not sure I would want to shoot it with the Bear quiver on it but it made the whole green package look complete.

I went back inside to finish my tea and hear a few more stories.  I departed with just enough time to chase a rabbit around the thicket after getting home.  I reflected on an enjoyable afternoon and thought that you would have liked it, so I figured the least I could do was tell you about it.  There are still places like that around and the tradition continues.....
  :campfire:
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Killdeer, you shoulda been there...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Sounds like a great day!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
Forester you're killin' me!

I love finding places like that!

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:19:00 AM »
So, did ya go home with the Cub and Mag??? Great story.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:44:00 AM »
Sounds like you had a great day! Thanks for sharing!  ;)  :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:44:00 AM »
I live in the center of Nebaska which is Damn Near the center of the country and we have no trad shops available. I am now 58 yrs. old and my goal is to open one at 6:00 in the morning until sunset. Any backers out there? I have 26 acres up NW with a 30x60 building ready to accomodate early morning coffee drinkers. Target ranges would be simple to set up. Spring fed creek winds 3 times through this little 26 acre plot. I would offer used trad bow equipment and set up a training camp for the kids. If interested? [email protected] I hate to say this but I think he inherited his grandpas ears       Proof is in the puddinghttp://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z314/Bowferd/?action=view¤t=Picture1-15041.jpg" target="_blank">http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z314/Bowferd/Picture1-15041.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »
I want to move to Sinking Creek!
That does indeed sound like my gunshop in its day, except our wood stove wasn't functional (and we couldn't shoot out back!).

An afternoon like that stays with you for a lifetime, warming you again and again. I hope your shop stays open forever. I have some more Quickee quivers if you want 'em. When I hunted with the "gift Grizzly" that is what I used. Just be careful, remember that you have REAL arrows on there, and carry Band-Aids.   :)  

Thanks for letting me in on a great afternoon with good people.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
We all want to live there Killy, but bet it'd be hard to rustle up a good paying job to support your or any of our fierce hobbies, let alone sufficient grub!   :)  

We used to have a ton of them type li'l hole in wall shops...now Lancaster County is more yupified than ..well, never mind... :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
It would be nice if it stayed open forever, but I'm guessing chances are slim, in the brick and mortar form anyway.  Doc Nock is half correct, jobs are a little tough to find but we do have sufficient grub running around the hills and growing in the gardens   ;)   Y'all are welcome to visit though, plenty of public forest to roam and camp.

I have not brought the Cub and KM home, yet.  But I'm trying to help them determine a fair price and then I'll look at my budget.  We'll see what develops.....I'll at least have to go back for another iced tea later this week   :campfire:
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Sounds like the shop I shoot at here in Albany.They are indeed a rare find in this day and age.Nice place there Bowferd.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©