INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Patriot's Day & Found Patch Knife  (Read 417 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Patriot's Day & Found Patch Knife
« on: April 14, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
April 19th is Patriot's Day...now celebrated on Monday instead of the exact day.  This isn't a big national holiday but it is Huge here in New England especially around me.  Over 200 years ago, the local farmers turned back the British as they were marching onto Concord to destroy the Colonial Militia's arms store.

My town of Carlisle is the adjacent town to Concord.  Carlisle was a farming community back then but it must have been a hard life for the local farmers as it is mostly granite and wet lands.  Because of the land and the proximity to the Battle  of Lexington & Concord, Carlisle was never really developed compared to other towns just west of Boston.  

I live next to thousand acres of conservation that communicates with conservation land set aside by the federal government in the battle route from Lexington to Concord.  The area is crisscrossed with woods, swamp, and stonewalls making for some very enjoyable outdoor activities if one has to live close to Boston.  As a side note, these conservation corridors hold quite a few deer that can NOT be hunted except on ajacent private property   :)  

Back to found patch knife, I was walking my dogs through the woods and as I crossed a stonewall down in the swamp, I noticed something under one of the rocks.  Could it really be an old patch knife from the Battle of Old North Bridge where the Minutemen turned back the British Red Coats?

Naw, Just another one I made to look old    :bigsmyl:   Enjoy Patriot's Day...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Patriot's Day & Found Patch Knife
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Well Doc, you had me going for a min. nice job
dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Nice!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Good story.  Nice knife!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Very cool Doc!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
That is so cool.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Nice knife and story. I have heard the phrase "patch knife" many times but never a good explanaition of what one was and how it was used. Anyone want to enlighten me.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Razorback,
To load a flintlock or percussion rifle, you add your powder then push a round ball with fabric around it into the barrel end.  Once it is seated in about an inch, you cut off the extra fabric and push to ball all the way on top on the powder charge.  The knife to cut the fabric is referred to as a patch knife.  It is usually attached to your possible bag that contains all the necessary accoutrements to load & fire your rifle.  The reason for the fabric patch is to have a leak proof seal around the ball as it is expelled out the barrel on ignition...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Tippit,
Thanks for the answer. I've seen that done and never put the two together.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Enjoyed that story and love the knife.  Really like seeing it in its parts.  

Doc, what kinda bone is that?   Looks like a metatarsal, but not sure what animal.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Very cool Jeff!!  Havent been on here in a while and I see that things have only changed for the better...Top quality knifework and now history lessons!!  This place is GREAT!!

Heading over to the Hammer-In at Georges now, gotta put my beer drinking and thinking caps on.  Not sure If they both fit on my head at the same time?

Again, Nice work!

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Super nice Jeff.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
You fooled me, Jeff. But that isn't very difficult! Love the knife; however, I say that about all your knives. Thanks for showing it and giving us some interesting history along the way.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Nice one Jeff!

I love that attachment system.

How did you finish the bone? It almost looks like you didn't use any sealer on the handle.

I'm about to finish up an antler handled "period" knife and I am hoping to achieve a similar unfinished look.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
JohnHV,  
The bone was sitting in the sun on the desert floor for some time when I picked it up.  It was very chalky but I really like that as it will have some cool mineral stains and cracks.  I just partially buffed it out.  I try to keep some of the chalky spots for old looking texture.  I seem to spend half my time hunting looking at the ground in front of me.  Maybe I'd put more meat on the table if I'd change my ways  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply Jeff.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to finishing natural materials.  I really like the look you achieved with this one!

I hunt an old Georgia farm a couple times a year and usually find a few piles of old cow bones in the woods.  If I come across some pieces that you might be interested in, I will let you know.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
John,  
I think I already have 1/2 a cow & 1/2 a bison so I'm probably all set with those bones.  What I really look for are unusual bones...like one where an animal broke a leg and then healed up only to die of some other means.  I prefer to think it was old age as they already went though enough misery.  But some of those bulbous callused over fractures make interesting handles...Doc

The distal end of a bear's ulna callused over after he had lost his paw to a snare.  He did OK as he was the Largest Bear taken a few years ago from bear camp.  

Here a healed fracture waiting to become a knife  ;)  

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
That is a great idea.  Never thought to look for bones with that kind of character.  Now I really need to keep my eyes open while I'm in the woods this fall.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©