3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who hunts solo?  (Read 876 times)

Offline Jager

• Trad Bowhunter
Who hunts solo?
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Im thinking about backpacking into the wilderness this year by myself. I keep looking for something maybe going solo well help me find it. Not really an interesting or provocative thread but I thought its something to talk about since its dark and 20 degrees!

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who hunts solo?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
I've hunted solo most of my life.  There is nothing like being out in the middle of nowhere with just your bow and nature.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
I hunt solo at least 90% of the time.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ramsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
I hunt both but when it comes right down to it
 I like the quiet and solitude of being by myself
(that way if I screw up it is my fault)The reason
I like company is usually at night around the fire.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
Solo or not, I go anyway. I hunt on the ground so solo works better for me.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
I pretty well hunt alone all the time now. My last three years to Colorado have been solo. I've  backpacked out there several years. The best backpack trips were with a partner I got started. We packed up into the wilderness area fringe together but hunted separately daily and came back to our bivy camp at night. We parted ways in 2004 and I go it alone now. I stayed focused on the hunt better when there was two of us. When solo, I find I am constantly mindful of personal safety---totally concentrated when using a knife,sharpening broadheads,orienting myself at unknown locations,etc... plus a GOOD partner can keep the enthusiasm/optimism in the hunt. I'm not interested in replacing that partner now after several seasons hunting solo. I'm set in my ways and not interested in changing them for anybody so I plan on continuing going it alone. Sort of like my marriage/divorce,had a good partner,not interested in looking trail and error for that one in a million again.....

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
I hunt solo about 60-70% of the time.  I probably have close to 100 days in back country Alaska and will try to make that a much bigger number in 2008!

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
I hunt solo most of the time. Sometimes it's just plain stupid, where I go, but, what the heck. I'd rather go alone than not at all. So far, all the bears have just had fun scaring me & not chewing on me! Touch wood!
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 01:21:00 AM »
I hunt solo 75% of the time.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
I have spent alot of time in the woods by myself actually my first bow season I spent almost entierly alone. I have enjoyed a lot of good times in the woods alone. You can enjoy the beauty of it all a little more. Plus when you fall asleep and the deer walk right by you, you dont have to make up an excuse like they were starring at me the whole time. Or in my cause when i fell asleep on my back head rested against my backpack and a doe bombed down the hill i was on and didnt see me until she almost steped on me and I wokeup to a blur of a deer flying over me trying to get the sleep out of my eyes so i could see what it was.  Maybe i shouldn't have admitted that.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 01:41:00 AM »
I hunt solo most of the time too.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »
I've been on sheep hunts of 7 and 11 days by myself here in AK, but not sure its the smartest thing to do. I really like coming back and sharing the day with someone.  After about a week, you start talking to yourself.  >Some of the new personal locater emergency beacons have taken some of the risk out of it at reasonable prices.  

I and I think most others spend a lot of time hunting alone and then return to company, which is both safer and also more fun.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 03:11:00 AM »
25 years ago, I asked a gentleman in Ohio if he would be willing to take me along on one of his deer hunting expeditions, and his answer was, I HUNT ALONE. Now 25 years later, so do I.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 03:45:00 AM »
Steve H. is an Alaskan, hard core, solo hunter that chases goats to brown bears with his stick bow.  You won't find many people that can live up to his solo hunting experiences with a bow.  
Chuck

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
I used to hunt solo for years.  I do not like it know as I have back and knee problems.  I do not want to get in the "I've fallen and can't get up" senerio.  Just do not feel safe anymore being alone.
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
I work the night shift so I am on a totally different schedule than the rest of the world.  Most of my friends like to hunt evenings and I usually only hunt mornings.

90% alone.

10% with my brother.

Lenny

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
Alone or with family but usually alone.Nothing against taking people with me but I like to go where I want when I want for how long I want and a lot of folks I know dont have the time or desire to hunt all day,all weekend.But my boys are growing older and for them Id change my hunting style to suit them and any of their friends who would be interested in seeing what the woods are all about.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Last year was the first solo wilderness backpack trip.  I'll say I'm solo when necessary but agree having someone at camp would be safer and more fun.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
I sometimes camp with friends on hunting trips, but when hunting it is on my own. We always go our separate ways while actually hunting. But I often camp and hunt alone. It gives me a real appreciation of the outdoor experience when it is just me out in the woods. The solitude is refreshing.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
When I was younger, hunting alone was where it was at. I enjoyed time with friends and family, but I enjoyed my time alone more.

Suddenly, babies can draw forty pounds, and working out the details of a bloodtrail that belongs to my child has changed everything.
I hunted alone two evenings this year, both times something was missing.

I think staring at a campfire alone, would leave me lonely now, instead of just alone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©