INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Forging Progression  (Read 295 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Forging Progression
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
OK, I'm ready for Nashville & the TN Classic.  Got my 2pc Shrew CH, Winston 3pc fly rod, arrows, camping gear and 20 some odd knives all packed.  Just have to finish up my regular 3 day work week before boarding my flight south.

Last minute additions---so I'm testing the waters on being an Associate Sponsor, knives look good but how do guys really know how they are built?  Decided to forge up my Keeslar style hunter as I normally do with just my hammers and no grinding to show the basic form of forging before a grinding wheel comes into play.  Forging shapes the knife & grinding refines it for me.

The progression from 1080 1" bar stock to an all forged form...hopefully to turn into something like the knife below.  I don't think a lot of guys understand that the forge is what makes the knife for me.  Hope this helps explain my style.  That knife blank has not been ground to shape.  The tang is long and tapered but I'll probably shorten, widen, and thin it after I decide if the knife is to be a skinner or thin caper.  The blade is tapered to the tip and the edge is forge to about a quarters width.  The next steps are to decide on final shape of blade & handle.  The neat thing about forging is I can change this knife shape numerous ways.  Just thought ya'll might like to see the starting point...Tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Forging Progression
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
It's good to see the starting point and the finish Jeff. I agree that forging is one of the interesting parts of my knife making. It does take practice though dont it?
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Great post...I've been an occasional "fly on the wall" on here and reading, watching as much as I can.  Yesterday I got to see my first real work being done by some Apprentice Blacksmiths as they did a little demo on some real old hand cranked blower forges.  I got the bug now and will be scouring the flea markets, etc in hopes of finding a decent deal on one and keeping and eye out for an anvil & tools.

Nice work, I love that finger guard style.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Jeff, we gonna have some FUN!
Skyler and I have not been around as much lately because of Work and Girlfriends....My Work and His Girlfriends  :bigsmyl:  but we are getting back in the swing of things.......
We now have a Forge and can't wait to hammer with Jeff But we got Fish to shoot and Fish to catch also....gonna be a big week with Whip and Tippit!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©