INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: how to temper 1095  (Read 417 times)

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
how to temper 1095
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Hey guys I am working on a what I believe to be a 1095 steel knife made from a file, I have it all shaped out from working on it all yesterday with a belt sander, and ruining two sanding belts, I dont have a forge yet but I am going to try to make one so I can heat it up to non magnetic and dip it in somekindof oil, now heres where I need your help, The quenching method, and how to temper it in my kitchen oven afterwards, please be very detailed. Thanx
Chris

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to temper 1095
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
web page  

This might help you.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Thank you very much
Chris

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
What heat in the oven, how long, and how many times of tempering do you suggest for 1095 steel?
Chris

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
How hard do you want it?  400 to 425 degrees for two hours - 3 times is what I do.  I use 400 degrees most of the time to leave the edge a bit harder.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Ok thank you, 1 more thing I need to know. When I heat the knife to non magnetic (1095) and I blade quench it in some oil, how long do I hold it in there? and do I let the back fo the knife just air cool or what?
Chris

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Oh and if I quench in water instead of oil do I heat the water up like you heat the oil up to 120-150 degrees?
Chris

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Dont quench in water. It will probably crack your blade.

Hold th edge in the oil for 15 or 20 seconds or so, then slowly dunk the rest of the blade till it is not sizzling. Get it in the oven asap at your draw back temp.

I'm telling you something that is down and dirty, because it seems you are determined that it's 1095, but we really dont know. There is a lot more to this, but you may have to experience or see it done to really be convinced. I wish you the best. Show pics.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
I was in a hurry and just tempered the edge to a straw/brownish color with a propane torch. Thanx for your help. Your right, I dont know what kindof steel it is, but im going to try some nicholsons soon that are supposed to be 1095, I had a pretty terrible forge, just held two propane torches up to it in a tin car with some dirt in it. haha but I got to to non magnetic and normalized it, then got it non magnetic and quenched it in canola oil, I just dipped the whole thing in there, then tempered it with a propane torch. Im epoxying on a olive wood handle right now, once its all done I will post a pic. thanx again, I figured I would just try something because I spent half the day searching oil vs water cooling and how to quench.
Chris

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Chris
I've only been doing this for a little while, but when I temper my blades I put them in the oven for 2-2 hr. Cycles, at 400 degrees.  I'm not sure but I think your edge maybe still brittle. On the next one try the 2 hr in the oven. Just send your wife to the store and she will never know.
Dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
On the next one try the 2 hr in the oven. Just send your wife to the store and she will never know.

:)  

Ah, the voice of experience.  Some advice is hard earned...  Thanks for the smile, Dana.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
If you want to stay cheap, use canola oil heated to 130 degrees for your quench material.  Just dip the edge in and leave most of the spine in the air.  It smells like your cooking in the shop.  Then immediately take the blade in and stick it in the oven at 400 degrees.  It will still smell like your cooking.  My wife loves to come out and chat while I am quenching 1095.  Canola is not the perfect oil for 1095, but it is very close based on studies by some very smart metalurgists.  The 130 degree heat range is important for prevention of vapor jacket formation.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©