3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simmons tree shark  (Read 721 times)

Offline DraglineMan

• Trad Bowhunter
Simmons tree shark
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
Any of you use a Simmons tree shark broadhead?

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons tree shark
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:20:00 AM »
I tried them for a few months & to be honest could not get them to fly well.
My arrows are tuned great & wide, 2-bladers (Magnus I & Zwickey Deltas) fly perfectly, but for some reason I got terrible windplaning with the Simmons ???
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
I shot them for the first time this season. They flew great and I was fortunate enough to tag two does with them. There are pictures here if you search that show the huge holes that the Treesharks make. There are some Treesharks users here that will have much more info for you.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Robert , Im with you I just swiched back to Magnus heads...tree shark flew best with aluminum arrow set up at 62 pounds anything else was hard!!!!!!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
I use them.Love the big cut.I have no trouble shooting them with 4" and 5" parabolic feathers on my skinny carbons.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Shot them from a 47# Super Diablo, flew great and made a huge hole in a big ole doe, could stick 3 fingers in hole width wise.They shoot great on both carbons and aluminums, shot the doe w/55/75 with 300 gr. up front, the Diablo has the tips redone for FF.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Just another note, I shot footed cedar shafts, spined @57#, from my 53# Zipper recurve. I was probably drawing 50-49#.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
I have had few problems w/ carbons, they just take a bit of tuning. It seems like even playing w/ your fletch positioning w/ relation to the nock can change things drastically. Try cock feather in, change your nock pt, and then it may just be a problem of too much/little spine. Reading the recent arrow/spine article in TBM should help you tune them in. Good luck. Sharpening them was my biggest challenge.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
Did not get to hunt with them this year, but they fly great out of my Griffin Longbow and Morrison curve on Heritage Carbon Express 250's with a 50 gr weight up front. Total arrow weight is 605 out of my draw weight of 56lbs. My son cannot pull my arrows they sink so deep in the target. When we shoot a 3 D deer it will rock the target pretty hard.

This will be my number 1 setup to start season with next year.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
give james wrenn a holler or search for his posts,,, he should have some pics of shark damage.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Overspined,
Did you try the $8 Wheelie that Simmons sells for sharpening the Sharks ? I like it. JC turned me on it. Not a surgical edge, but it will have a Shark shaving in 3-5 minutes.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Love mine. I shoot them on 60-65# cedars with 5" bannanas. Fly great. Took Javie and hogs this year. no shot op at deer.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
I picked some up last Summer, never got them sharp, so I didn't use them.  I tried the wheel sharpener they sell. It did put an edge on, but not one I felt comfortable hunting with.  I think they need a much shallower blade angle, it will take quite a while to get it there though.  Maybe next year.    :banghead:       :)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
When the Simmons are sharp they still dont feel as sharp as a Magnus or other 2 blades but believe me they will make them bleed like water from a hose if you use the wheelie sharpner, its hard to get them to shave hair off your arm to but theyll pop a rubber band in a heart beat..I found out the harder you try to get them to where they feel like other 2 blades the duller you end up making them, the wheelie sharpner is the way to go.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Trick to the wheelie that JC taught me..... Make sure you point the tip of the broadhead or knife you are sharpening as far down as you can as you sharpen. That is what the slot / groove in the base of the wheelie is there for. It provides clearance so you can point the broadhead down as you drag it through. Makes a HUGE difference. I love that little wheelie, best $8 I ever spent !

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I like the wheelie sharpener as well. I can use an accusharpe a few times then a few licks on a steel does just as good for me. I cannot get them as sharp as my Magnus I`s as someone else said but They work very good and cut mighty big .RC

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
If you want an edge on your Simmons just as sharp as what you can get on a Magnus then buy the 'Steel Master' sharpening system from Simmons. That thing works real well and takes just a few minutes to get'em super sharp.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Wally,
Could you do a tutorial on this site using the Steel Master sharpening system from Simmons?  I've got the system and have not gotten the best out of it.  It would be greatly appriciated.

Doug
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I have gotten mine pretty sharp with the wheelie, which I love so much I just got two extras. However I am currently working one on my Lansky, which is similiar to Simmons "Steel Master", that I use free-hand. Hate to buy it if I can use what I have. I did get two of the Ceramic rods from Simmons. I picked-up a small three sided file, 1/4" or so. The "Tail" of the file must be small enough to slide into the angle holes on the Lansky jig. I wanted to change the angle to 25 degrees, which I like on my heads. The file works well, and is faster than the Lansky stone. The file is narrow enough that it will work the curved area fine, especially if you use angled strokes. When I got the angle set I used the ceramic rod. I like a smooth, mirror-like edge. It is a little too big to fit in the angle hole, so I used two plastic tie-wraps to attach it to one of the Lansky guide rods. Now I can work the bevel at the same angle I've set. I'm about finished with one and it's sharper than the wheelie gets it. It's shaving hair, and I'm not quite done with it. I have also noticed with other heads that if I set a 25 degree angle first, the wheelie puts a better edge on. It looks like the factory bevel on the Sharks is about 30 degrees, which I like on knives since it seems to be more durable, but I prefer a shallower angle on broadheads.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
Wally can get those things scary with his sharpener.I use paper and felt wheels on a grinder on mine.It took a little while to get the hang of it but now I can get them where they cut rubber bands real easy in a couple of minuites and maybe pop a hair or two.That is sharp enough to shoot what I hunt.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©