3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Montana decoys  (Read 375 times)

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
Montana decoys
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Anyone use them the last year or two, either for Whitetails or Turkeys? Mostly curious about whitetails as I have an excellent setup for next year, but it's about a mile hike, and with a tree stand already on my back, carrying a full body deke is petty much out of the question.
I'd like to hear your stories good and bad
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana decoys
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
I haven't, but am thinking I might get one for next year.  A buddy of mine shot a bruiser of a buck in Kansas this year using one - it came on the run from quite a distance away.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tom P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I ran into them at the ATA show and they had soe really good video of a buck trying to breed a decoy doe not once but he came back for seconds. I like their light weight and compact size.
Psalms 42:1 As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, Oh God.

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Don't have either of those but do have the cow elk, talk about ease of use and handy, also worked. I'm going to make carbon/aluminum poles for mine for backpacking.  I'm curious to see who has experience with the whitetail and turkey.

-Mike

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Got the whitetail buck and doe combo pack at Cabellas this year but it was after the rut.  I took them out and used them and I have to say they are amazingly realistic looking.  I even took a couple of pictures and posted them here.  Got a lot of positive responses from people who know what they are talking about.  

I'm looking forward to using them next year in late October and early November.  

FYI, quite a few guys said that the doe decoy did almost nothing as an attractant compared to the buck but some guys thought the rack on the buck was a little big compared to the deer in their area and might have intimidated some bucks.  Gene Wensel said he uses wooden clothes pins on the doe to make it into a spike and got good results.  Makes sense to me.

Here's a link to the other thread so you can see them in use.   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=053193;p=1
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks Dave good info there for sure.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
I've used both the buck and the doe decoys.  I've had positive responses to both...also had some weird experiences with them.  I had a string of cotton balls on some light fishing line at the tail for some motion in the wind.  No scent or anything, but had a doe "mouth" the cotton balls for about five minutes.  Couple hours later, the cotton balls were still wet.  Also had a decent buck approach from the end-on direction from my buck decoy.  He's walking, walking, walking...he get's parallel to the decoy and is about 18" from it when he sees it for the first time.  He looked like a cartoon character jumping into the air and trying to run before his feet hit the ground.

I also use the elk decoys and all of the above are very realistic.

My only negative on the deer decoys is having to use the metal leg assemblys.  They're kind of cumbersome.  With the elk, I just hang it by thread and you hardly know it's there packing it.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
My experience with the doe decoy is that real does are very leery and will weave and bob for quite a while when they first see them. That being said I've only shot does while using them mainly because I'm picky about the bucks I shoot. It is really funny watching one walk directly in front or back of the decoy, you can almost read there eyes saying "what's is going on".  I'll have to try that clothspin trick.

Offline Dimeit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
I have the doe decoy and was impressed.  When hunting real thick cover I did not have the success I wanted though.  The deer seemed to hang outside the shooting lanes checking out the decoy and not offering a shot.  In the open woods and along a food plot, it works.  I killed a 3 yr old doe that came in with 4 other does.  She fed quietly 4 yds past the decoy.  After the shot I got down to find blood and assess the situation.  I went to the spot where the doe was and the decoy was positioned just on the other side of a tree.  Super realistic,If I didn't know better it was a real deer.  My buddy took the decoy to the edge of a biologic field in the afternoon.  He placed it in the field 20 yds from his stand.  The buck was not drawn to the decoy itself, but calmly walked in to 7 paces.

In my short experiences, the deer do not circle behind the decoy like full bodies.  The stick just to the outside of the decoy, so put them close.

I did have several close calls with the decoy though.  They are so realistic that I almost shot it a few times after looking back.

I bought material amd made a bag for $3 to hold the decoy and the stakes.  It straps easily to my stand and is quiet.

Glenn

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
I haven't but i really like to try one. they look like they are pretty good being that it is a fold up. it would beet towing around a regual decoy.
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©