3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural Camo Leggin's,Moc's etc.  (Read 2762 times)

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural Camo Leggin's,Moc's etc.
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
How many of you hunt in Early Period Clothing? Here's how I usually dress for Spring & Fall Hunting. Braintan leggings, Moc's, Cotton and/or Linen shirts etc. Kinda like an Eighteenth Century Longhunter. Sometimes I do take my Flintlock that I made. Don't mind the snow.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural Camo Leggin's,Moc's etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
For cold weather I add more layers, change to Sno-pac Moc's that I made and warmer head gear.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Mac,

That's great.  I like it.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Pretty cool Court I would but we don't have deer big enough to cover me. next rabbit hunt you show up wearing that and the sheriff will stop us.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
If its really cold I add a Wool Hood that I spun and wove up. I also made a pair of Wool Mittens out of some wool that I spun and wove. If it gets much colder than this I stay in the house. The heavy wool blanket shirt I made about 15 years ago for a trip in the Rocky's. Looks about like the ones that Ron carrys.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
Thanks Pete, guess I was bored today and didn't have anything better to do with my time.

Vic don't joke that has happened twice before in the country and several times in towns. Heck once I was buying some coke in a grocery store and they called security and then the Sheriff's dept. Everyone had a good laugh in the end.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
bowmac - those are nice! we need to talk, I just posted today asking about a 'how to' for leggings and mocs. got good replies , was off checking the hints, and look what i find right back here ...LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline arraflipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Court,

Better stay in this weekend or they will be calling the fellows in white coats to come for you.

It does look good, sure beats the camo and blends in much better, to me!!!!!!
Arraflipper
Jim Fisk Bowyer
"Life is to short to shoot an ugly bow!"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
WOW!!!!! GREAT PICTURES!!!!!

Every now and then my sons and I get dressed up in Eastern Woodland Indian garb.

(My mothers father was a full blood Penobscot,Also.....we believe than my fathers mother was an Oneida)

Eastern Algonquin/Iroquois style leggins were usualy garterd above the calf of the leg and were long enough to cover the ankle.A breech-cloth was worn to cover your butt and a long tunic (shirt) or a blanket prevented "drafts" LOL.

You outfit looks OUTSTANDING Court!!!!! But.....I JUST have to ASK.....(where do you put YOUR wallet?????)   ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks Chuck, I quite often wear a breechclout also. As for the wallet if you look close in the pics I am wearing a small wool pouch over my shoulder and snugged in tight under my left arm. This holds my necessaries. My Grandma on Dads side was a full blood Choctaw. It was a little rough being raised in local white people's territory when your Dad was a half-breed. To this day some call me a Red Nigger (including my Father-in-law of 26 years).
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
Here's a nice warm way of sitting back at camp shooting the breeze etc.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Here's a pic of my better half (The Real Boss), holding a sash I made. I think this belongs to Mr. Vic.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
Nice capote (spelling) Bowmac. I had one I made just like it, also red. Used it hunting so much it finally fell apart. Sure is warm. Been thinking of making another, but I've been kind of lazy.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Court, that is very cool!

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
HOLY COW ! Blessed am i among Tradgangers. I believe that will hold my knifes and belt pouch just fine. Thank you my friends That is beautiful! Nothing wrong with having red in you, My family started way back in Georgia as Cherokees and on the walk they stopped in Missouri. And my wifes great grandmother was Sac and Fox. It's all about mind and spirit, not blood anyway. Some people will never understand.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Man, those are fine.Clothes like that are worthy of museums.Really,if you think about it wearing them has got to make you think about those who wore them way back when and that beats looking at gore tex on stand and thinking "how'm i gonna pay that cabelas bill?" Know what I mean?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
I thought you meant the arrow.I was gona say I lost it and want it back.Nice looking arrow!

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
I would dress in period type clothing but I have no skill at sowing let alone spinning and weaving. I've always wanted a capote but they are usually out of my price range and it is hard to find a blanket big enough to make a 2XL-3XL size. A friend just had his wife make me two voyaguer toques and I am ordering one of the new solid grey longhunter shirts from Ron.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with that C2. What I didn't make I traded for. The toque I traded some spinning for. I had dyed the red into the wool using cochneal (a desert bug). Who would imagine. I traded some braintan for the Jack Hubbard early ugly knife. The rest I pretty much made with the help of my Wife. One of the shirts I dyed with walnut hulls and the other I used sumac berries. My braintanned leggings I smoked with oak punk wood and then dyed in sumac berries. Funny how so many natural things can be used. I dyed one of my other shirts with Indigo blue and it turned out fine except when wearing in hot weather it bleeds onto my skin and I look like PaPa Smurf. Trial and error.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
i was reading today that the Seminoles used Mahogany wood to dye their leggings.
 As I understood it, the mahogany even added water resistance.
How did 'we' lose so much knowledge .....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©