3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unstained shafts  (Read 508 times)

Offline Steve C.

• Trad Bowhunter
Unstained shafts
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Anyone use unstained cedar shafts for hunting? With all of the fancy arrows being shown and made, I'm just curious if anyone uses a basic shaft, with no stain, just clear coated.
Steve C.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unstained shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
I have a few,probably about 8 left of 2 dozen.Mainly used just for plinking around the yard anymore tho......
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
I have sold many plain jane arrows.  I shoot them myself mainly for testing of points.

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
I like the natural wood look, but went through the trouble of applying a natural wood color stain.  Seemed like wiping on water. Can hardly tell it's been stained, just brightens up the natural color a bit.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
I use them when I plan on punishing my arrows, like frogs on rocky banks but to me lifes too short to shoot plain arrows.I have a blast making em purty.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
I figure I should shoot my best arrows at any game animal dumb enough to get close enough for me to take a shot.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
One of my many unstanined small game slayers...

Yeah, I agree with everyone who says a stained shaft looks prettier. That much is true. But I really do like the visability offered by most unstained woods...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
A clear coat  with a white washed crown make a nice arrow.  I use minwax white wash stain on the crown before sealing with a clear water based poly. With white feathers this makes a good looking arrow that is pretty simple to make.  It is also highly visible and easy to find in the weeds.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
The native americans believed that you dishonored the animal if you killed it with equipment that wasn't the best you could make.   :campfire:

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Last Arrow

Could you post a picture of the arrow you described it sounds neet and i may try it on my next shafts.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Cedar Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Steve,
I glued up a dozen this past summer with no stain and hunted whitetails in the fall.  I agree with the other guys in that this makes for a very visible shaft out in the woods...maybe a little too visible for my liking.  I also have some unstained "Ravens" made by Raptor Archery.  This is a beautiful arrow..you can view them on their web site.  Great thing about making wood arrows is if you don't like them, you have an excuse to make 12 more!!

Good luck.  Scott
"If there aint no trout streams and whitetails in heaven, I'm not so sure I wanna go."  A Good Friend

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
I use unstained, clear coated POC shafts for practice and stump shooting.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Actually my wife prefers the look of just a sealed shaft and cloroed feathers, she says they are prettier than all dressed up. I have several dozen of them. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Just made a couple dozen, clear, no stain. The kids are shooting them. I like the looks of them. I may do my next like that, maybe with just a simple crest.

Steve

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Stain the front and leave the back unstained instead of crown dip. Crest or not they look pretty good.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
I stained my first batch of  ash arrows. After that, I've never stain another batch. I like the Saxton Pope look of natural wood  arrows. I like to use wild turkey and  goose feathers  because they are natural. I like  to  put more time into shooting  than arrow making.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
I really like Douglas Fir shafts unstained. Likewise Red Oak. P.O. Cedar "pops" nicely with stain-kinda plain without. Ash really is beautiful stained. Poplar makes great arrow shafting but unstained it is quite bright and stained brown it looks little better than a long skinny turd. Sometimes I get rad and stain shafts red yellow or blue-makes them more findable.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
Jim Uh... I'm sure Pope made plenty of plain birch shafts but to quote him..."we paint arrows not so much for gayness but to preserve them from moisture and to aid in finding them."

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 06:02:00 AM »
I just rub some linseed oil on my shafts now. Prefer the look of natural wood.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©