INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Some Knife Pictures  (Read 489 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Some Knife Pictures
« on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
I finally got a few knives done, one's for my dad's fly fishing outings, the other is for mom in the kitchen.  Both were forged from farrier's rasps and I did a LOT better during the forging of both than the last time.  Dad's has a Lacewood handle and mom's is Purpleheart (her favorite color).  Mom's has a little piece of copper that I peened the edges of along with several decorative copper pins.  Dad's has a steel finger guard (bain of my existence...) with a thin copper spacer and single steel pin.  Unfortunately, both have several "issues", but I guess they'll just make the next knives I make for them look that much better.  Still need to sharpen them and give dad's a sheath to sit in.

Just started 2 other knives, both will be Sendero style blades.  These are the first I've forged from known steel-5160.

Got the file guide on there to keep my "grind" lines right.

Darned near there

On a really cool note, I might be getting myself into a Grizzly 2x72 at the end of the month, which should make my "grinding" WAAAAAAY faster.  I wouldn't change not having one to start with, though-I've learned a ton about better forging, filing, and several other things, most of which had varying levels of pain involved     :knothead:    .  Anyway, I wouldn't be anywhere near the place I am without the help from you all on here.  Here's to hoping these next knives are better than the last.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline charlie phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some Knife Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
look'n good.

TXCP

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Great looking knives, you should be proud
Dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:02:00 AM »
Wow! Beautiful work!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Nice work Jeremy   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  There's a reason I don't have any close-ups of those first two...  It's amazing what a little of that "perfection" gene can do to a guy.  I guess the good thing about those frustrations means I learn what to do different the next time.  As long as I always try to make the next knife better than the last, I guess I'm going down the right road.

I'm fairly excited about these next two hunter type blades.  I'll be sure to post pics as I go along with them and get help if I run into any problems.  I'm thinking about trying nickel silver for a finger guard on one but never used it before.  Any thoughts on working with it?

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
Jeremy,

You are doing awesome.  Keep up the good work. The key is to learn and improve on every knife you make.  Soon enough your acually good at it.  I am glad to see your new addiction is growing nicely.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©