3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how to fix a bow building error?  (Read 312 times)

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
how to fix a bow building error?
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
So I am building my first bow right now.  I am making a T/D longbow with the kit from Binghams.  I just laminated my first limb and when I looked at the belly where the limb will rest on the riser I noticed that there is going to be a 1mm gap where it sits on the riser.
    I know that didn't make much sense and I don't have a photo yet so let me try to explian.  The limb sits on the riser for 6-7 inches.  In the middle of that 6-7 inches the limb is lifting off of the riser 1mm for 2-3 inches , so it is not sitting flush.     "[dntthnk]"  
   Now I know that what I did was have an area that wasn't flush on my mold so I will fix that, but can I fix the limb I have already screwed up?  I was thinking that I could put some moleskin or something down on the riser to make it snug will that work?
  Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Allan

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to fix a bow building error?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
post pics...
6 to 7 inches are a lot; usually a t/d limb on sits on a riser for 4 inches.
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
your right the limb sits about 4 inches. so I guess my spacing is about 2 inches long and 1mm high. Any suggestions as to what I can do?
thanks,
Allan

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Allan
It sounds like it will be on a part of the limb that will be next to the riser and not exposed. This must be under the fadeout. For this to happen you would have to have a bump on that part of your form and its hard to imagin the whold fadeout bending around it.  but if the glue joint looks good I think I'd just rough it up a bit, epoxy another little piece of glass on it and then sand it flush with the rest of the limb.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Seems like you ought to be able to block sand that section smooth.  Just stay within the area covers by the riser.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
If you can sand it flat and still have some glass left it will probably be fine. If you go thru the glass then glue another piece on it in that spot. May not be purty but it beats scraping the whole limb. Then fix the reason you got the bad spot.
High on Archery.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Allan,

Not sure exactly what you mean, but my pronounced had a slight gap that I evened out.

I epoxied some of the tapered end of the actionwood lam I had and did some careful work on the belt sander for a flat surface.  The shim ends even with the end of the riser

Got it worked in then blackened the edge to match the black glass.  No one notices it but me...

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
SOS;you really did a good job on that,shim and all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©