INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Officially an Apprentice  (Read 708 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Officially an Apprentice
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
I have been planning to join the ABS for quite a while and just never got around to it.  With a little encouragement from a MS who posts here I joined up.  Now it is three years and then time to test.  I am looking forward to working on some new styles and refining my finish work.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Officially an Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
Way to go, Clay.  I know you'll do great when the time rolls around.  I'm hoping to join sometime down the road, hopefully later this year.  Be sure and check out the ABS website forum-lots of good stuff on there.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »
Jeremy,

I have been poking around on there already.  Toss your $60 in and join up.  We can head back to Blade and test together.  That way we can share the costs.  Better yet we could plan a vacation trip across country with the families and just happen to hit the Blade show to test for JS.
Clay Walker

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »
Now that sounds like a great plan Clay   :thumbsup:   .  I've been trying to figure out the testing criteria (time as member) and I think I missed the window for 3 years since I'll be joining after the Blade show took place.  Either way I look forward to being a member.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
This is good to hear. A new beginning.   :)
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Let the fun begin!
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Fresh meat  ;)  Good deal guys, keep in mind that if you attend one of the ABS approved schools/classes you can knock a year off that wait. Believe me it'll be here before you know it.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Hey guys, since the american bladesmith expo in San Antonio is going to be judging MS and JS in 2012 is there a school closer then Old Washington Ark. I've been there once for a hammer-in, but from austin its about 7 hr. drive. if i could find a place close to here that would be great and i could knock a year. Also if you guys know of any JS or MS in my area or where to find these guys let me know
Thanks
Dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Jeremy,

I was reading up on the testing times last night.  It seems that you can test at both of the shows the ABS holds each year. There is Blade and then a winter show where you can test.  I believe that one is held in January.  So joining after Blade does not appear to loose you a lot of time for membership before testing.   It would be nice if the winter show was closer than Atlanta, if it is in Texas we can slip in some hog and javelina hunting in addition to testing.  

Thanks for the welcome guys.  I am already trying to figure out my timing and knife styles.  I am going to dig into the MS and JS lists for local smiths I can have critique my work as well.   I know for sure of a JS that lives up by Seattle and there is a school up in Seattle with a MS.  There is blacksmithing school in Beaver Creek Oregon about 30 miles from my house that opened recently.  I plan to swing down there and visit to see if they have JS or MS member in the ABS who works or runs the the school.
Clay Walker

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Jeremy,

I am not sure if you have heard or not but the Northwest Blacksmithing Association is having a huge annual gathering in mid August at Government Camp in Oregon.  The site is right at the summit of the pass over Mt. Hood.  You would be more than welcome to crash at my place. Or you can camp at any number of lakes or state campsites in the area.
Clay Walker

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I joined January 1 and will be testing in 2013. Sounds like we might have a good Tradgang contention that year.

Dana,
I think Old Washington is your closest ABS school. Master Smiths Johnny Stout and Harvey Dean are fairly close to you. The best way is to go to the ABS site and scroll through the list of JS and MS knife makers. That's how I found my closest MS- Tommy Gann in Canton.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Dana, distance doesn't matter too much because the Intro course lasts two weeks.
You won't be driving back and forth.
7 hours is a piece of cake when you consider the return on your time and $$ investment.
Chief Joseph

Offline ScottA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
This is good to hear gentlemen.    :clapper:  

Once you join ABS do you have to test within a certain amount of time? I am aware that there are limits as to how soon one may test.

My reason for asking and maybe concern is that I too have joined at the apprentice level. Given where I am at now I think that I will be on a much greater extended timeline. My more immediate reasons for joining was to support ABS & further my personal learning....and heck it is quite motivating !

I hope to attend the Ohio event this summer and be all ears & eyes.
fill each day with adventure & peace be with you

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Look me up, Scott. I'll be there.
Chief Joseph

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I know it's only 7 hr away, but I was just looking for a place that was closer so I could bug them for knowledge like I do you guys. San antonio is only 45 min away so I could be there alot. Maybe oneday we will have one
Dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Welcome to the ABS Guys!  I attended the Intro Course in 2009 at Haywood CC in NC, which was a great experience and recommend it highly.  

I am still an Apprentice and would have been eledgable to test at Blade.  However I lack practical experence and have not made enough knives.  Maybe one day soon I will be ready!

Steve
-------
Potomac Forge

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Well Clay-I just joined the ABS.  I got an email back from Sally Cassidy from member services and she confirmed the 3 year rule-3 full years in by the time you test.  So technically I'm going to be under 3 years by a week at Blade in 2014 but she said if I joined right away the Chairman would likely waive the week or so I'm short.  So, I put some tools on the back burner and took the plunge.  Anyone else out there looking at wanting to test in 2014 might want to jump on their membership in short order unless waiting til 2015 is fine.

Jeremy
- William Morris

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Jeremy,

That is awesome.  We will have to look at some cost sharing to reduce the price of the trip out to Blade in 2014.  Did she mention how you would go about getting that waiver?  Do you need to get it now or in 2014?  I will need to get one too.

I know what you mean about spending cash and putting off tools.  I have an eye on a Grinder in a Box from Polar Bear Forge to upgrade my two wheel grinder into a proper three wheel.  Last week I spent $550 getting a radiator put in my Suburban, This weekend I am putting a new radiator in my Subaru for $300, Toss in a $1,000 in new tires for the suburban last week, Plus $60 for joining the ABS.  I am tapped out on free spending cash for a while.   All this means I am not buying the GIB or the carbide file guide I need.    

I am looking around my local area to find a JS or MS that would be willing to look over my work and critique it to help me meet the ABS requirements for passing the panel review blades.  I would reccomend you do the same.
Clay Walker

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
She didn't specify as to when the waiver would be given but I inferred from her email that it would be something looked at when we put in our applications to test.  We'll probably want to call and check around the time we're looking to do it.  Definitely up for cost sharing.  It'd sure be a neat deal to test with the guy who helped me make my 1st knife  :) .

I couldn't agree more about getting my work critiqued-just seems foolish not to.  Especially when there are so many out there willing to help out.  I've got a JS about 15 minutes away and I'm a member of the newly formed Idaho Knife Association.  We have monthly classes and there are some great guys with a lot of knowledge.  Bruce Bump is over in Walla Walla and Bill Burke right up here in Idaho City.  Also Ed Caffrey in MT is about a 9 hour drive.  All in all, great options for me.  Now just need to work really hard and try to catch up with you  :) .

Jeremy
- William Morris

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
With that much qualified help and classes you will catch up quick.  I have to get my finish work and fitting of guards down.  I have the forging and heat treating pretty well covered.  I am looking at buying a kiln in August which will help me nail down the heat treat for sure.
Clay Walker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©