3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DeadHeads?  (Read 614 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
DeadHeads?
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
A couple weeks back a guy posted about some DeadHeads he had but for the life of me I can't remember what the topic was.
Anybody remember?  I slept since then.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DeadHeads?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
I think Robtattoo was looking for some to hunt with. -Drew
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
I think he was noting that collectors were paying too much and making it hard to afford them for hunting.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
After reading the thread   HERE  (& Doc Ed's reports) I decided to go on the hunt for a few 'users' to hunt with in Texas/Africa this year. All I can say about them so far, is that the people that own them are some of the most generous I've ever come accross! I've had a few heads given by folks who are fully aware of their collector status & value! And for that, I cannot thank them enough!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
"are Deadheads the next....." (dang, can't remember) - was a thread about the ever increasing price....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
"Are Deadheads the next tulip bulbs"

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Rob,Did you get it?like I said I wouldn't charge a hunting buddy for one broadhead. It cost me less than 2 bucks to ship it overseas and I got it with some arrows that I traded. I know it was worth something, but so is giving something away to someone that will use it. chickenman

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Not yet ND. I got a couple of smaller Deadheads from Rusty Izatt (Thanks Rusty!  :D  :D ) that fly perfectly with 75gn inserts. Looking forward to seeing the BIG version!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
So Rob, if Silver Flames go for $25 each and old Deadheads are worth you know what, when are you going to start banging out some of your own? I saw that knive you made for Shawn, looks like you could have the skill to do broadheads rather easily.
lll

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
I have one deadhead.How big are the big ones? The one I have is big.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Big un's on the bottom:

"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Do they sharpen easy? Shawn
Shawn

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
You are very welcome Rob, glad they made it ok. Good luck hunting with them.

Rusty

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
Shawn... the Deadheads have great steel and sharpen up without much trouble at all.

Of course they have a pretty big sweep and that causes problems for some guys.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
What is the minimum shaft diameter for mounting them on wood?  I have some small diameter shafts (need to measure them for actual size) and am hoping to put Deadheads on them.  Of course I need to procure some Deadheads first.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
Forester because broadhead ferrules are standardized  to all use the same 5 degree  taper it does not matter what size the shafting is... the wood taper and the ferrule will mate. Some people don't like for the shaft to be "undersized" but that is arguably the perfect set-up since shaft drag will be nearly eliminated behind the "oversized" ferrule. My deadheads have 11/32 ferrules.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 04:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Shawn... the Deadheads have great steel and sharpen up without much trouble at all.

Of course they have a pretty big sweep and that causes problems for some guys.
Yep, agree 100%
I managed to get the 2 Rusty sent me sharper than any other heads I've tried. They came out knife sharp, sharp enough to pop hairs without actually touching skin, after about 5 minutes work each. Pretty much as sharp (possibly slightly better than) as Silverflames.
Looking at the size comparison JC has posted, I would say that they're pretty much restricted to heavier bow users. The small Deadheads are pretty much the same width as the 135gn Magnus I heads, the bigguns look to be HUGE! I can't wait to see what one looks like in the flesh (figuratively & literally!   :D  )
After reading Doc Ed's initial report, & going by the similarity in cost, I'd honestly buy these over Silverflames. If I can quantify that; Doc Ed notices that Deadheads out penetrate Silverflames. Later reports (& I'm kinda correllating evidence from various reports here) would lead me to believe that this is down to the smooth ferrule of the Deadhead over the bullet shaped ferrule of the Silverflame. Also,becausethe Deadheads are a glue-on, it allows for much better weight variation, by adding different inserts/adapters (also you can obviously use 'em on woodies! :D )

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »
The silver flames may have been the 210 grain. If so,they are not vented,which might have been the difference. Robtatto,have you actually tried the silver flames? I'm curious about them?    :campfire:

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »
Not for hunting Bill (One downside to living in a non-hunt-friendly country!) I've tried them purely for there reported sharpness & flight characteristics, to figure out which heads I'll be using in Namibia this year. From what I've seen of them, I wouldn't hesitate in using them at all. The workmanship in each head is superb. I'm only basing my preference for the Deadhead on the Ashby report, as I can get them both to the same level of sharpness & they both fly perfectly.
If you want some detailed reports re; the Silverflames, I'd get in touch with either Herb Haines of have a search on here for '1-7/8" Silverflame'

PBS & TBT Member

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
I'm a big fan of Deadheads, they sho nuff can get wicked sharp...great steel. Cut a biiiig hole, not to mention the coolness factor when you pull one out of your quiver. I have found them as cheap as $8/ea if you buy in bigger lots on xbay...but you gotta stay on them to get them that cheap.

However, as much as I love Robtattoo, I have to disagree with is opinion with comparing the silver flame (no fense Rob   :D   ). The Deadhead is a great head, but it, in my humble opinion, is not in the same league as the Silver Flame. The Silver Flame, again in my opinion, is one of the finest pieces of metal work you'll put in your grubby paws. Built like a tank, I'm not sure you could hurt one with conventional archery tackle. From the look and feel of them, they are using some of the finest metalurgy techniques of our time, and building a head superior in most regards to anything else on the market. Can't say that about my beloved Deadhead. But, the Deadhead is 40 year old technology at least...good, but not like the silver flame. For thin skinned, relatively light boned critters, you'll find they work great...but I don't think I'd take a Deadhead on a trip of a lifetime and shoot it at monster eland or some such bull sized critter.

That said, Deadheads are considerably less expensive, at least on xbay, than the Silver Flames, so it is kinda apples and oranges comparison. I'd shoot Silver Flames if I was rich or if I was going on another trip of a lifetime type hunt...but I've got plenty of heads now that have never failed me and cost considerably less.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©