INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Knife Sheath Question...  (Read 396 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Knife Sheath Question...
« on: June 24, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
I made a Pouch Type Sheath for my Fathers Day Gift Knife, and it works Great!!  :thumbsup:   It Isnt exactly Professional Looking, but it  IS  My Very First Attempt!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knife Sheath Question...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
If you want to wet-form the sheath around the knife, acetone lets you form the sheath & the leather will dry off really quickly. Water works just as well, but takes hours & hours to completely dry.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Use gloves!  I use water since it is nontoxic.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I use rubbing alcohol to wet fit mine.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
I guess My Fear is that Acetone, besides the  SMELL , will Damage the Leather? Not that I in  ANY WAY Doubt the Folks on here one Bit in their Advice,  PLEASE  dont get me Wrong! Acetone is some  NASTY  Stuff!!    :eek:    
   What are the Advantages, WaterProofing,etc., I guess, other than Acetone Dries Much Faster?? I have some  MEK  in My System from the Triceps down from My 1st Job as a Youngin' Degreasing Sharpened Drill Bits in a Shop when I was 18. Didnt know at the Time, that stuff once it soaks in is there  FOREVER!!      :scared:        :scared:    Guess after  THAT  I am a Tad  Gun-Shy!!      :rolleyes:
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
I use water. Form the sheath useing the blade with the leather in cased state (not sloppy wet).
To get the leather in the perfect case, dunk under the water swish it around for a very short time and wrap in plastic. This gives it a little time for the water to get all the way thru the leather.
You can form your sheath and go on to the stitching in about 15 min.

Be sure to wipe down the blade and give it a light oil coat after forming. Give the sheath ample time to dry completly before leaving a blade in it. After wet forming saddle skirting I give the leather a light coat of neatsfoot oil (pure) this puts some natural oil back in the leather to lube the fibers. don't over do the oil as it will darken it and may be harmfull to your stitches.

I don't wet form a carved sheath as it ruins the carving. I may wet form the part of the sheath thats not carved though.

Make sure your leather is veg tanned, not chrome tanned or it will rust your blade.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »
Thank You for the Info Y'all!! Very Appreciated!!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
Well, I Done Gone and Done It!! Clothspin on the Beak, and Rubber Gloves!! The Acetone is   OUTSTANDING  for Form Fitting Sheaths in a Hurry!!  :saywhat:    :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©