INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Finally a Bladesmith  (Read 347 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Finally a Bladesmith
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
I'm finally ready to call myself a Bladesmith...not necessarily a good one but at least a bladesmith.  The one BIG component I've been lacking is to be able to roll my edge from high in the blade so there isn't an abrupt taper into the edge.  I've tried numerous methods that work for other guys to no avail.  My breakfast with Burt Foster proved to be more than a culinary delight  :)

Burt explained his & Jason Knight's method.  I came home and went right to the grinder with some of my old blades...worked like a charm!  My edges are very similar to both Burt & Jason's knives now.  Noticed I said edges...the rest of the knife doesn't compare.  My blades have been getting better through the past few years but that elusive edge that is like a hair with no bevel plus so easy to sharpen has been my most difficult task.  Thanks Burt!  

Next on the learning curve is hand finishing as I now take everything to 400 grit and finish with a fine Scotch belt.  That actually works well on knives that are for use and not show.  Once they've been bathed in blood and washed in hot water numerous times, they all take on a patina.  Then I need to start getting good at handles & guards.  Oops better wait on that title of Bladesmith   "[dntthnk]"  

Here is one I just re-ground to a convex edge.  I can't seem to find the original picture but it had a good sharp edge except it was a bevel not a smooth transition covex edge from about 1/3 down the blade.  The two pictures of the entire blade are different light angles...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally a Bladesmith
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Not convex! Never convex!
Horrible to sharpen.
Always looks like it's trying to cover up a grinding mistake.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Jeff, I think you are a Bladesmith in every sense of the word!  And have been!  Great looking knife!

BTW how were knife sales down in TN?  You did well diden't you?

And did you get the Email on the Antler & Iron II book review I sent you?

Steve
-------
Potomac Forge

Steve

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Steve,
Thanks, I did get your review on the Antler & Iron book and I'll probably get it.  Did you see the leather work Ken Bueche did on the Bear Quest post.  If not here is a picture of what he did for me.

Also I did not sell anything at the Tenn Classic as I was just seeing if anyone liked my stuff.  I do need to become an associate sponsor to see if guys like my blades when they actually have to buy them instead of being a gift.  Pretty hard to get constructive criticism when it's for free  :)   Jeff

Ken is an associate sponsor here (Calumet Trade Goods)

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Wow great knife and sheath!

Thanks for posting that!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge

Users currently browsing this topic: