INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Winners of Bear Camp  (Read 630 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Winners of Bear Camp
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Bear Quest has always been my blade R&D department.  Having the availability of 8-10 bears to skin & dis-articulate in a week is like years of research on blade design.   This year was no different.  This design originated from Doug's caper that got me into bladesmithing in the first place.  

WARNING: the following is Strictly a Personal Preference!  

These little blades are my best all around hunting knife that I have made to date.  With the help of many bladesmiths who are far better than me, I finally really like my knife design for function.  They may look similar to my knives of the past but the shape of the blade, the finger flare refined, and especially the edge is what I've been trying to achieve.  If anyone saw me skinning bears, this blade would slip under the skin and with a little upward pressure, cut a line like opening up a zipper from stem to stern.  

I'm not a big blade fan for a hunting knife.  They are fun to make but I find I never use them.  With para-cord be so non-slip and so quick/easy to apply, I'm also not necessarily big on pretty knives for hunting, just another reason why I'll probably never be a rated bladesmith.  Sorry for all the ranting...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winners of Bear Camp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Those are winners in my book.  Very nice flow, and the size is perfect.  They must be scary sharp, 'cause your thumb disappeared!
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Great stuff as usual Jeff, whatever path you decide to take with your craft, I'm sure you'll excel.
 Cant say for sure, but it looks like you added a little more curve to the spine as well. That alone would makes my wrist much happier over the long term with multiple critter processing jobs. That and an improved edge geometry make it a near perfect cutting tool!!  Sweet Stuff  :thumbsup:
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Nice!!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Jeff,

Those have always been my favorite knives you make, except that I prefer slab handles. I have 3 of Doug's knives in that style that are among my absolute favorites. I prefer somewhat smaller knives to for most purposes, and those knives of yours are just about perfect. Congratulations on getting the blades where you want them to be. I think they are great, especially with some beautiful slabs attached!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
How long are the blades? Love the finger guards!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Those are ideal in size.  Nice!

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Jeff,

You always make a very nice knife no doubt about that!  I like them on the smaller side too and you have refined all the details that make for a very functional hunting knife, however I'm convinced everyone needs at least one Big knife!

As for you getting your JS stamp, I think it's yours to have if you want it!  In the end does it really matter?  As long as your satisfied with your work!

I am always interested in your next project!

Regards,

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©