INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Best multi-pourpose knife  (Read 682 times)

Offline PASSTHRU2

• Trad Bowhunter
Best multi-pourpose knife
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
If you had to choose one knife to do all the chores for camp, hunting, crafting and defense, what style blade would you choose and how long woud it be?
"In God We Trust"

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best multi-pourpose knife
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Oh wow! Ouch!

Ummm.....

Probably something along the lines of a 5" spear point blade, fully flat ground about 1-½" from the edge to the spine & 1/8" thick.
G10 or Micarta handle, probably blaze orange.

Pretty much identical to this, but with an orange grip.....

"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Nice knife! I really like it Rob.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
Very subjective question as everyone has a preferred blade design and there is no "one" perfect knife for all things cutting... but if I have to only have one.  I would go with something similar to what Rob posted.  A boning type blade that was thin enough to filet the backstraps off and stiff enough to get some tougher stuff done.  Here is my go to knive made by Ray Rogers out of D2.  Simple design that is comfortable in the hand with a stabbing grip or underhand gutting grip.  While also being light enough to choke up on for some finess work with the tip.  This one has seen a lot of venison both in the field and on the chopping block.  

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
notice the 2 above do not have much flash, simple tool. Just subtle differences. I prefer a very pronounced finger groove behind the choil for control. No guard . handle material is optional for me...I actually like all metal. Bobby is right ,it's personal ...but look at what the people that use a knife  A Lot  use...4-6 inch  drop /spear point.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Here's 2 Shane Taylor knives . Too fancy but my favorite general shape and design.

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
IMHO THE BEST KNIFE IS THE ONE YOU HAVE IN YOUR HAND WHEN THE EMERGENCY ARRIVES.  FOR ALL-AROUND USE, I CARRY A SPEAR POINT SMALL BOWIE, 1/8TH IN. THICK AND A SIX INCH BLADE.  I KEEP IT RAZOR SHARP.
SourOwl

Offline agd68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
If I could only have one and I could choose,I'd choose a Kukri with 12" blade. People in Napal have been using them for just these things for centuries. You can do everything from chop wood like a hatchet, skin and butcher game, peel veggies and take a baddies head off with one.
Eat, drink, and be merry...  
For tommoro we may die.

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I can't do it with one knife...I need two.  I have a plain gerber fixed blade (3-4") that holds a good edge and a cheapie Rapala filet knife.  I use both on big game and just the filet on fish.

Oh..and I have one of Asbell little knives in my quiver between the foam and the hood for "stuff".  Heck I field dressed a deer last year with that little knife...because I was to lazy to walk back to camp!  You don't need much.  A friend of my dads forgot his knife on one hunt and he used a broadhead.  I haven't tried that yet but I might!

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Ever since these guys got me hooked on this knife stuff I've been making just one more good knife for myself and then I'm done.  After I make it I want to use it but then I end up giving away my last one.  So I'm thinking I'll never find the "perfect" one at this rate.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Probably the bigger the better.
You know how the saying goes - you can do little things with a big knife, but you can't do big things with a little knife.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Even though I have several custem hunting knives to dress game with, my "stock" USMC Kabar has been my "go-to" "do-everything" knife for the past 25 yrs.... I have used the heck out of it and it does everything I've ever needed. I may get a big custom one of these days and retire it but I really like the way it works in my hand and would hate to leave it sitting in a box.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
My Kbar retired when I hung up the uniform-still a Marine

I have a buff horn handled kukri from the PI that is a great everything blade.  I also have one I made, and I made the scales out of scrap wood from my bow's riser. It hangs on my belt on very hunt as she is very sharp and so handy.
3inch blade with a nice curved blade
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©