3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk and Treestands  (Read 327 times)

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk and Treestands
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
Just wondering how many of you use tree stands
to hunt elk. And how has your luck been?
j yenney

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk and Treestands
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
There are bowhunters where I live who use treestands for hunting elk. I think most use them near a wallow or watering hole. I've talked to a couple of hunters who have had success using this method but since I personally don't have the patience to sit in a stand I've never tried it myself.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
I use it as another tactic. If I find a good water hole, I'll sit it. I have yet to kill an elk, but that doesn't mean I haven't been successful at water holes. I have a friend here in UT that pretty much uses them exclusively, he is very successful.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
I tried it this year; but when the elk came in; it was too tough getting a shot; they were quite oblivious to me; but seemed to be able to put a tree between me and them every time.
 Not giving up on the idea though.
I was hunting a ridge dropping into an alfalfa field; and they didn't follow exact trails - more one trail one day and another trail another day.
 Nothing like hearing the bulls run down the hill at full speed towards you  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
I know a guy who has used treestands for elk for years, and he has taken a few that way. He sets up on a well used trail and sticks with it. He has much more patience than I do.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
We've killed several from treestands over wallows and water holes.  They definitely work.  Not quite the same excitement for me as calling one in, but a close second.  Don't overlook hunting them in the mornings as they'll often wallow or drink before heading off to bed after a night of chasing the ladies.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
We used them quit a bit in the early 70s. Not the conventional ones though 2x4s and a 4x8 sheet of plywood....NO STRAPS just good ole ring shank nails, did quite well actually.

I just picked up a new Hang On and am going to give it another rip this year, in conjunction with callin, maybe even try some STINK on em.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
might try a tree stand in conjunction with a decoy...elk have an uncanny ability to know exactly where you're calling from..a decoy takes the focus off of you when (and IF)they come in..a bull expects to see another elk...when he doesn't he usually gets nervous in a hurry and hauls _ _ _...or team hunt..(one caller/one shooter).Too many times I've been pinned down by bulls and not been able to make the shot !

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
A montana decoy is my way of hunting elk. I bought a treestand a couple of years ago and sat in it for 5 minutes and that was enough. My friends seem to enjoy it. I want to give it another shot,as some people I know have great luck filling there tag for elk with a treestand. The way elk hunting has got in the bighorns the last 5 years, I realize I need a new way to hunt elk with a bow. And the fact that the elk have figured out private land and the rancher and forest service lets the cattle graze the grass down to the dirt doesn't help either. :mad: . Anyways thanks for your thoughts
j yenney

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Killed one bull from a tree.  Just lacks the excitement and challenge of being on the ground.   The kill is not important enough to sit there bored.  Trees are for whitetails and even that's not as much fun as on the ground. I have all fall, few tags, and am in no hurry to get one on the ground.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
j

I've killed two elk from the same tree near a water hole.  Both the cow (2004)and a 5x5 (2007) were 5 yard shots.  I hunt on the ground mornings and through out the day then spend the last 2 hous or so reading a book in the stand.  Also got a 4x4 mule deer and called a bear to that stand.  I personally love that tree.

JOe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
JOE
I would love that tree also. Have you tried to sit the mornings? or do you find the evenings are better.I'm a rover my self and enjoy walking around and have had a few kills with my bow, but with the way life is going, I don't get to go up for 2 weeks anymore, so I need to find a more efficient way and I think a treestand might be the way.
j yenney

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
It's definitely more fun from the ground, and I've had luck with that....but I have to say, we started using treestands about 10 years ago, in combination with ground hunting and calling, and by far, have been more successful from trees.   It is hard to sit for long in them elk hunting,  but if you can do it for deer, you can do it for elk as well.  And you  can call from your tree, too. One particular hunt I had with my  sons I wrote  a story about in TBM a couple  years back..."The fabulous Baker Boys".
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
J
No.  I've only sat the evenings.  I like covering ground in the Am's. I posted my 5X5 in the 2007 highlights.
Mike I enjoyed the "The fabulous Baker Boys"
Joe
Ps 6 months 3 weeks and 2 days 'til elk season!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
6 months 3 weeks!!!! and I have not been able to get on the wyoming fish and game website from new zealand in 6 months. Just hope I can get my application in on time from the NET somehow. I wont be living back in Wyoming until June, and that would make it to late.
j yenney

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
I am by no means an expert here, buy I believe applications for Wyoming Elk were due today by 5 pm ?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
The older I get the more I think about hunting elk out of a treestand,  lol

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter