INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: ShopVac setup?  (Read 593 times)

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
ShopVac setup?
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
How do you all have your ShopVac set up for sanding scales? I seem to be wearing them out. I guess the dust is clogging up the filter? Does it have to have a filter? Anyone know of one that uses a bag or something?
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ShopVac setup?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
I have a shopvac with a bag and a filter, I have not changed the filter in 6-8 months, bought it from Lowes 5 Gal
Dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
If you look at grizzly and/or harbor freight, i think both of them sell a vacuum system that is similar to what a wood shop would use. By that I mean a blower that blows all the dust into a large filter bag then when the vacuum is off the dust falls into a plastic bag for disposal. I have not used them so I cannot comment on the quality, but I have seen them.

TBRA

Offline Arrowest

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I also have a shop vac with a bag and a filter.  Works very well.  Attaches directly to the ports on all my sanding devices with an adapter.  Brand name is Shop-Vac, go figure... 10 gal with blower attachment as well.  Had an older one without the bag and it expired rather quickly after I started sanding handles.
cheers, Dale

"TGMM Family of the Bow"
Kempf - Raven 50@28, Kwik Styk 51@28, Li'l Grizzly 50@28,
Checkmate Hunter III, 50@28, Bear Kodiak Magnum (70's) 45@28

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Not sure if this is the answer to your?, but mine (like most Ive seen) just has a fin type filter. Periodically  I just take it outside and shake it into the drum and mostly good as new. As long as I dont pick up water they seem to last a long time. Love that clean filter power!!

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the help!!!!!  :)
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
I have a shopvac brand vac, I go to sears or the hardware store and buy a pack of bags for it. Many different size bags are available for different size vacs. Clean the filter and then install the bag and you are set. I vac up ALOT of dust with mine and I just need to replace the bag every once in awhile.The bag will filter the dust out better and saves from having to clean the filter. You will not lose suction as bad either(if at all). The bags a little spendy but very much worth it. Give it a try I bet you like it.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
You might want to think about something like this. I have been having problems with my shopvac setup and have had my eyes on building somehthing like this for a while.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/19069

Kris

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Paste this number over on the bay and you will see a jim dandy cyclone for a modest price.
The bags really work well and they filter out all the dust without loss of suction or shop space. I really want one of them cyclons tho! They are cool.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©