INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Newest Shop Addition - Grinder  (Read 817 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Newest Shop Addition - Grinder
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
I have been pondering and searching for a good 2 X 72 upright grinder for quite a while.  I have considered buying one ready to go.  Looked at building one, and was about to order a grinder in a box when I saw a C list add from a local garage builder offering the grinder I needed for an unbelievable price.  I dropped by his house to look at several he had finished two weeks ago.  I put them to the test.  Both grinders I worked on passed with flying colors.

The grinder I ordered has a 1 hp motor with a variable speed drive control.  It will run from 0 to 3600 rpm.  It has synthetic wheels with high end bearings.  You can get the grinder with aluminum wheels.  I plan to buy rubber surfaced wheels down the road.   I just picked it up today and will be putting it thru its paces shortly.

Now get ready for the price................... It cost me $560.  This includes a work shelf not shown in the pics and an adjustable knife guide for grinding exact bevel angles.  The maker is a stay at home dad who is a beginning knife maker and part time grinder manufacturer.  He is in his first series of grinders so his prices are low.  He uses new parts, electronics, and motors.

If anyone is interested I will post up a review here after I have used the grinder for a bit.

Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newest Shop Addition - Grinder
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »
Nice, Clay!  I'd be very curious for a review when you get a chance.  That price is right up my alley and to get it with a variable speed controller is huge.  Those wheels on the front and top almost look like skate board wheels?  But shoot, if it works, no complaints  :) .  From what I understand, some of those rubber faced contact wheels are the way to do, depending on what application a guy's doing.

If it ends up being a good way to go, I might just be making a trip back up to your neck of the woods sometime.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
I saw that for sale and almost bought it. We talked via email and he seems pretty savvy. I will be looking for your feed back on this grinder. I hope it is all you need it to be,and more. Congrats,

Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I will be grinding on a Nesmuk tonight.  Jeremy I thought of you when posted this and figured I might see you again soon.  If you can afford one now is the time to buy. His prices are bound to go up when he realizes how much demand there will be.   I will keep you up to speed on my testing.  The only two downsides so far are the motor has a small amount of whine when running.  This is due to electric field noise, not a problem with the motor.   You can add a field cancelling device to get rid of the whine.  The wheel bolts are 3/8 inch.  To upgrade to high end wheels I will have to drill out the holes to 1/2 inch.  Not a big deal for me, a very minor issue.   Jose lives about two minutes from where I work.  He is quite savy and is a nice guy.
Clay Walker

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Two tracks, this machine was a direct order.  He is selling them as he gets extra machines completed on Fleabay and Craigs List.
Clay Walker

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Clay,

I will be watching this for your review.

I'm trying to decide what I need  and the price you list above is very good!

I am just a hobbiest and justifying the cost of a $2000 grinder is a long stretch for me.

If you wouldn't mind PMing me the contact info for the manufacturer I wouldn't mind giving him a call myself.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Johnhv. I will send a pm from home tonight.  

I am a hobbyist too.  $2,000 is way to much.
Clay Walker

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I'll be watching!

I have a Grizzly and am not satisified with it!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
lowell
looks like a lot of grinder for the money
let us know what you think of it

kevin

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Clay,

PM received. Thank you!
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
I have been working with the grinder and have a few comments based on my short experience with it.

Most of the things I look for in a grinder are working perfectly.  Variable speed controller, synthetic wheels, platen, etc..... I am 85% satisfied so far.Tracking system is sensitive which I like.  Platen is the perfect width.  

Negatives.  The work shelf has a bevel up against the belt.  This leads to pinching of the belt against the blade. The work shelf is not a true 90 degrees in the X & Z axis from the belt.  It is out about 5 degrees.  Not a huge deal but I will be having that corrected.  The drive wheel shaft hole was machined a hint large which is leading to side to side belt travel of about 1/4 inch.  This is completely unacceptable. I will be working with Jose on this issue.  I do not expect to have any problems getting it fixed.  He asked me to be rough on the system and provide him with critiques of all the components. He wants to make sure the customer is getting what they need.  I will let you know how the corrections of these items work out with the manufacturer.  I will be chatting with him on Monday about these items.  

Two Tracks, I will pm you Jose's phone number.
Clay Walker

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
Thanks Clay,
Your PM box is full,
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the update Clay.  I really appreciate the honest assessment and it sounds like the guy making them has a great mindset about making the best tool he can.  Hopefully that drive wheel issue can get fixed-sounds like some of the other stuff is fairly minimal as far as "problems" go.  This might be the grinder I try to get.  Was looking at the Grizzly but I've heard a few mutterings about it and this one has the variable speed set up, all for nearly the same price.  Now just to come up with the cash   :)  .

One question I forgot to ask is how solid does it seem to be?  I've heard some guys mention the bolt together types tended to rattle loose.  Yours looks like it has more welds to hold everything together better, but still a bit lighter weight tubing than the big name manufactured frames.  Anything on it make you want to modify or beef up a particular part?  Just curious.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
clay
i really appreciate the review
it gives me some food for thought
are those rollers skate board wheels?
ive heard of people using them
kevin

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
PM box is now empty.   I believe they are skate board wheels.  Very solid and so far are working great.  I plan to work with them for a while and buy a metal wheel with a rubber face to allow for arc'd grinds.  

I have not found anything to make me feel like the system needs to be beefed up.  I will keep an eye out for this.  Right now my impression is that it is stout enough.
Clay Walker

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 01:58:00 AM »
The bearings are not standard skate board bearings.  They would never last.  Jose uses high end bearing that are press fit into the wheels.
Clay Walker

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
Does the 1 HP motor do the job?  I had a old grinder with 1 horse and always thought it was under powered. Maybe the variable speed makes the difference?

Mark

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
I found the time to call Jose today and we spoke about the issues with my grinder.  I am meeting him at his place after work tomorrow so he can see exactly what I am talking about.  He had asked for critiques and was happy to hear what I had to say.  Jose indicated he would work to fix the items I want addressed on my machine.   I will post another update shortly.  

The grinder can be bogged down at the slower speeds by heavy pressure.  I plan to use the lower speeds for working on wood, fine finishing blade surfaces, etc...  I will be using the mid range to higher range speeds for mid grit sanding. Low grit hogging will still be occurring on my heavy machine.  

Jose will make the grinder with a 1 1/2 hp or larger motor.  The cost of course goes up.
Clay Walker

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I met with Jose at lunch today.  We tightened
The belt tension and worked with several belt types to adjust the grinder.   The grinder is now 100%.   I am giving Jose an A+ for customer service and the grinder a B+ for usability.  These grinders are a steal.   I plan to buy another one specifically for hollow grinding.
Clay Walker

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
:jumper:  
I need me one too. thanks Clay
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©