INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Reached forge welding temps  (Read 342 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Reached forge welding temps
« on: August 25, 2011, 04:24:00 AM »
I built my own 2-burner forge at the beginning of the year, but at the time, I couldn't afford the ITC 100.  I really wanted to be able to forge weld and in an effort to see if I was getting to the temps needed, I went to a local pottery supply place and got some pyrometric cones (box of 25 for about $8.00).  I got the hottest ones, #10's, which are rated at 2345 degrees, "white hot" on the reference chart.  They stand up in your forge at a slight angle, so when the temp is reached, they start melting and falling over.  I stuck one in before getting some ITC 100 and it just stood up straight.

I mixed up the ITC 100 and put it over the refractory cement I had over my Kaowool and let it cure.  Tried the cones again tonight with some different results.

The cone that's bent all the way over is in the middle of the forge, between the two burners.  The other one is closer to one of the doors, but was obviously on its way towards where the other already went.  It took my forge a ways longer and more propane to get where some of you guys get in a few minutes, but I'm awefully happy to know I now have the ability to forge weld at some point.  And by the way, when the reference chart said "white hot", it wasn't lying-good grief it gets bright in there!  Anyhow, didn't know if anyone else wanted to know whether or not they were hitting the temps they needed, but the pyrometric cones are a great way to find out at a low cost and you can get them for the whole range of temperatures.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©