INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Couple new sheaths  (Read 476 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple new sheaths
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I haven't had much time to fiddle with making knives and such in the past couple of years due to nursing school, but with that essentially buttoned up for the time being, I decided a Bushcraft Northwest knife needed some new cloths (bought her used with a kydex sheath... practical but not much more than that..) and I also needed to finish up a sheath for a knife of my own making.  At any rate, I am getting better and better with the leather work.

On to the pictures!

My home made knife is the northstar pins, the BKNW is the bamboo handled full tang puukko, and the British style bushcrafter is a SWC knife that I handled (JRE sheath).

In their snug sheaths.

>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple new sheaths
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Are those Beautiful Items all Hand Stitched? Or did you use a Machine? Just Curious, because all I have made, all 3   :rolleyes:   , have been Hand Stitched with Artificial Sinew. i am a Newbie if you couldnt tell.   :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I like that style of sheath best.  Just plain and simple.  Good job!

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Thanks fellas.

All hand stitched by me.  I first scribe a really light line using a small caliper tool, then run a "craft over stitch wheel tool" from Tandy.  The tricky parts, and the part that I am least satisfied with, is drilling the stitch holes.  I use a small bit, and even when I have used a drill press, the back side of the sheath's stitch line wanders.  

At any rate, they last.  I glue up the welt and the sides using "titebond II or III glue, really seems to work well, once it's dried, I have to rip the leather apart to undo it.  So the stitching is really more cosmetic I suppose.

Also, I have begun using a snap on the belt loop.  Quite handy for taking it on and off a belt or a pack strap!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Those look real nice, Congratulations!

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Nice work. I like that North Star knife too.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:
Nice work. I like that North Star knife too.
:eek:  wooh!  Thanks Lin.  It is patterned off of my favorate kitchen paring knife, just thicker and prettier.  Convex edge... all those pins were hard to get lined up at gluing time, but I'd say the handle isn't going anywhere anytime soon...
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Thank You for the Honest Info Mike!! I Really Appreciate it!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©