INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I'm still learning - Question  (Read 337 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm still learning - Question
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
I've made some knives that have turned out pretty good but I blew right past some of the basics getting there.  A question that never entered my mind until I made a knife and had it heat treated properly to 60Rc is, what angle do you guys put on your cutting edge when making your knives?

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm still learning - Question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Frank, I think most of us put a 20-22 degree angle on the blade
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Dana,  Thanks.  I was thinking it was somewhere in that range but after making my last knife and just eyeballing it I found out quickly that getting a sharp edge was nearly impossible.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
If you are just getting into knife making and are having trouble holding the knife on a particular angle, you might consider getting one of Ron's KME sharpeners. It will work great on blades up to 6 inches, maybe 7. But, while you are sharpening knives of that size, you are training your eye to recognize the angle. Then you can use that knowledge on bigger blades.

One problem I see often with those who are just getting started is that they dont get familiar with what is the proper edge geometry for a knife. So, they might make a hunting knife with way too thick an edge. Or thin, as the case might be. There is a optimum geometry for every blade.

Study knives that cut well and see you can immitate that. Here is a link that has some sketches that might shed some light on geometry.
  web page
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©