INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Seth Kinmans knife...another'n  (Read 878 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Seth Kinmans knife...another'n
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Seth kinman was a mountainman in the mid 1800's. He was a Trapper, Indian fighter and Wagon Train guide. Ole Seth carried an unusual knife, a big blade that was inscribed, "Seth Kinman..Grizzly Disector"

Here's our knife inspired by Seths personal knife. It has a combination bone and stag handle, the 10" hand forged blade is appropriately aged. The overall length is 15". Is is in a beautiful Walnut Burl Presentation case that was made especially for this knife.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Seth Kinmans knife...another'n
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Woww

Nice historic blade...

Love it!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline James Oertel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
nice package ,  looks great   :thumbsup:
life is too short,enjoy it !!!

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Ron, very cool knife!  I like everything about!

Neat you included photo's of Seth.

Ron, check this one out, maybe too small for your liking.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=110;t=003616

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Oh man, I'm glad you sold it before I saw it...I'm knife poor enough already..   :eek:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Same case, different knife. This one has nickle silver guard, spacer, and butt. They were brass on first knife. This knife also has a "Spanish notch" filed into the blade which really dresses it up in my opinion. The "notch" is historically a decorative touch. There are speculations for other uses of the notch but I think it was mostly an artistic addition to certain blades of that time period.

I've also added another photograph of Seth Kinman with his special knife that this knife was styled after, and the pictures are glued onto the cover of the case. There is an outlined cutout in the bottom of the case so that the knife fits snugly and won't shift around.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
In the hand for size comparison

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Ron, those are very cool!  Is that a full tang, and what is the thickness of the spine?  I would like to make a similar piece.

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
In the hand for size comparison

BEAR in mind that Ron's hand is not small!!

great looking knife Ron,
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Steve, it has a full tang. On the first knife the spine of the blade was 1/4" The 2nd one was thinned down some and I like that blade better.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm liking that knife the more I see it.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I agree Lin, I keep coming back to see it. I like that dished out spine. I bet it has nice balance.

Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
  I agree Lin, I keep coming back to see it. I like that dished out spine. I bet it has nice balance.  Chuck  
It does have a good balance Chuck. When I saw the first one it I told CL that it looked like a knife that some fancy River boat Gambler would carry and I didn't think any self respecting Mountman would be caught dead with a knife like that on his belt.    :rolleyes:  

After handling it I've changed my mind, I'm really liking this knife, it has a distinctive look and feel..    :saywhat:

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Ron you must have one of the best knife collections around you should post a photo of a bunch of youe best. Thanks for posting and sharing. Ron Roehrick.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron Roehrick:
Ron you must have one of the best knife collections around you should post a photo of a bunch of youe best. Thanks for posting and sharing. Ron Roehrick.
This thread could get REAL LONG if Ron does that.

I can't wait for him to start,he has some collection
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©